Vs CC

Good goal! Probably lucky to be leading, let’s see if we can hang on.

And just that quick it’s 3-3.

3-4

I can be convinced that Berge deserves another season because of the general state of the world. But this is bad. And not just in the “the NCHC is incredibly tough” sense.

First time I’ve watched us in a while, but our puck handling was brutal….hopefully CB can right this ship in a year or two…

1 Like

Remember when Friday and Saturday hockey nights were enjoyable?

2 Likes

This was posted over on the hoops discussion of the BG loss, but as one who is not close to the goings on within our hockey program, the question I have is how could we have invested so much into the hockey program (one of nation’s best college Arenas, financial support, etc.) gone from a perienniel top 5-10 team to not just an average team but one of college hockey’s worst teams?

2 Likes

Increased competition from other college programs….

I agree, to a point. However, Covid has not caused us to recruit players that obviously do not have the talent to compete at this level. Other teams in the country have had to deal with it–and continue to attract top talent and win. So, if the Covid handicap caused teams to lose, who is # 1? Or # 10? And how were they effected by Covid?
Hate to say it, but if in another year of recruiting and playing is on the current level, it’s time to call it a day, end hockey (we can’t afford it AND D1 bball/fball). Spend a few million and convert Goggin to a bball/vball facility. Would be a great bball facility located in a great place on campus. The long, cold walk to Millett would no longer be an excuse for much of the dorms.
As I said, would hate to see it. But reality sometimes smacks us in the face. This may be one of those times.

1 Like

MightyMU: I seem to recall some past threads about the feasibility of playing both hockey and basketball in Goggin, and experts weighed in that it was not feasible. But to your point, I wonder how much it would cost to convert to a basketball only facility…it’s the perfect size.

1 Like

It’s interesting how everyone is ready to just throw all out sports teams away… hockey in a slump? we need to get rid of it. Basketball sucks, let’s get rid of both programs and destroy millet. Football is down? Fire the head coach and become FCS. Some of you provide an excellent laugh with these hot takes. So thank you for providing some humor to my day. If you took a look back at our history we did not have dominant programs forever. Heck not even Alabama football is great all the time. Before Saban they were struggling. I doubt anyone there said to cancel the team.

Perhaps it is the unfortunate reality of trying to field three D1 teams and expect each to be highly successful?

3 Likes

Maybe that’s why Xavier dropped football and UD went down a couple divisions in football. They wanted to pick a horse they could focus really well on. It’s really rare when a school has an awesome football and basketball team at the same time. Usually one is great and the other good or worse.

1 Like

“Slump” is pretty optimistic. We’re on a decade-plus of sheer irrelevance. And it’s not ending anytime soon.

2 Likes

I’m not at the point that I am advocating for the elimination of D1 hockey, but obviously something needs to change pretty quickly or else maybe we should consider going to the CCHA where maybe we can win a few more games or consider dropping it in favor of bolstering basketball. To me, dropping hockey wouldn’t make much sense unless Cady Arena could be converted to a basketball arena…plus you’d still have the recreational rink for students and the public.

1 Like

Just because you can’t be great in all three does not mean you have to give up them all. So if we can’t be great in a sport should we give it up?

1 Like

Yesterday I mentioned that hockey teams are built from the back up and that it certainly seems we need lots of repair in that area. We’re scoring a a decent clip, having tallied at least 3 in 12 games. Unfortunately, we’ve given up 4 or more in 15 games.

1 Like

Don’t be hysterical or or insulting to those, like me, who ask an obvious question. One that has been asked for several years by numerous posters. No one has advocated dropping fball to FCS. When mentioned, it has been shot down immediately and universally. Now, as to destroying Millett, it is all but unanimous that Millett is a part of the problem. Goggin, just the opposite.
Glad you have an active sense of humor. As pitiful as it is, you’re welcome to the comedic break. But I don’t see your post being overwhelming supported.

I personally love the look of Millet from the outside but the inside is atrocious.

In regards to everything else, I think some of the posts others have made are not helpful at all either. But in all seriousness people on here do suggest we give up sports if we aren’t playing well. All I’m saying is that I find it humorous.

From a hockey specific perspective, I’m still not sure what the right decision was…