UNO to The B1G

Nebraska is considering some fundamental changes to how their system is structured. The biggest of these would merge UNO formally into a subsidiary branch of Lincoln. At that point, I’d assume that they’d move the hockey program into the B1G.

They want to do this to increase their chances of regaining AAU membership? And the example is that South Florida merged its campuses and got AAU membership?

If South Florida’s in the AAU, is it really that prestigious to begin with?

1 Like

I was rather puzzled at that too. I did a quick check, and they’ve clearly come a long way: 800M endowment, 700M in annual research and undergraduate admission stats equal to Miami. Demographics have certainly helped with the latter. They’re probably better across the board than the merged Nebraska would be.

1 Like

AAU membership is heavily driven by R&D expenditure. Brandeis is the weird outlier there. Frankly, Miami is not comparable to USF when it comes to that: $461 million Vs. ~$30 million. But our undergraduate programs are substantially better.

3 Likes

Honestly, AAU membership gives bragging rights, like being an R1 school, or an IVY, etc. Not much beyond that.

2 Likes

I smell a fart. Let’s call it for what it is: Nebraska is a MVA for the conference and if the Big could dump them to add in say UNC or a Miami they would do this in a second. Nebraska has given them a way to bow out.

I would not characterize Nebraska’s undergraduate admissions standards as comparable to Miami’s. Unlike every other Big 10 program their average ACT scores are decidely poorer. Their 25/75 percentile split is 22/28. Ours is 26/30.

Nebraska… where the “N” on the helmet stands for “knowledge”!

1 Like

“ is good”

1 Like