Toledo again, this time up there 7:00 Tuesday ESPN+

We must be gluttons for punishment

4 Likes

The Reds have won 3 World Championships since Iā€™ve been a fan.

1 Like

Browns fan here.

1 Like

I think we remember the good and try to forget the bad. I will say that the RedHawks are closer to winning a championship than the Reds are.

1 Like

Good memories for sure, but even Miami basketball has been relevant more recently.

1 Like

All 29 of those fouls were legitimate. Should Toledo have been whistled for more fouls yes. But we deserved every foul that was called on us. Once the officials caught on that we couldnā€™t stay in front of them, any attempt to ride them or body them up drew a foul because they knew from earlier in the game, we couldnā€™t stay in the game. Other fouls were just egregious like trying to arm bar a driver? Automatic foul. Mirambeauxā€™s 5th foul push off, obvious. The slow motion charge attempt by Lairy, foul. Defensively challenged, as weā€™ve known since the start of the year. Offensively, we were pretty good. We shouldā€™ve started the game by playing through Mirambeaux right from the jump, like Toledo did with Shumate, but we waited too long to do that. But we had 21 assists on 30 made field goals, and lost by 18. Unreal.

1 Like

The offense has not been bad all year. But this team is not built to play games in the 80ā€™s. The fact they are says more about how really bad they are defensively.

Would be good to define relevant. Since the last time Miami hoops had a .500 season record, the Reds have won 2 division titles (97 wins in one where they legitimately had claim to the best team in MLB), had 2 more playoff appearances (one just 3 years ago where their playoff rotation was Bauer, Castillo, and Gray) and a good team in 2021 that wasnā€™t better because ownership decided to abandon ship.

2 Likes

What was the foul on Lairy getting an elbow to the face and Yofan dive. Those were the ones I didnt get

1 Like

Anyone else find this weird?

2 Likes

Well, you mentioned championships, and the Redsā€™ last one was in 1990. Clearly Miami is never going to win a national championship, so I define ā€œrelevantā€ as MAC titles, NCAA tournament appearances and wins, of which theyā€™ve had several since '90.

1 Like

What makes you think Iā€™m normal? Have you read even one of my posts over the last couple years?

4 Likes

Okay, then Iā€™ll ask how fans of Miami and the Guardians do it? :wink:

3 Likes

Playoffs in 2013, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2020, 2022. One losing season in the last 10. No rings in my lifetime, but I was 6 when the Reds won their last and hardly remember it, so whatā€™s the difference? Yes, as a Cleveland fan I want a title, but at least most of the time I go into a season knowing my team wonā€™t be terrible.

1 Like

This is simply not true.

1 Like

Tatum ā€œchargeā€, Lewis ā€œblockā€, etc etc.

Itā€™s a terrible take.

You said being relevant was about championships for the MLB team when I brought up recent Reds playoff appearances, now suddenly playoff appearances matter again when itā€™s Cleveland? :smile:

Last season was abysmal, but unfortunately for Phil Castellini, I found other places to go. This season is also gonna stink, and so will 2024 unless they decide to spend some of their millions.

1 Like

Sometimes, as a Cincy sports fan, it can get bleak. So I think of all the collective success across the state: Reds and Indians have both won World Series. Browns won a world championship pre SuperBowl and Bengals have 3 SB Runner Ups. Cavs won a world title. I think that leaves hockey as the only major sport never to win in all. Get on it Columbus. Ps, I think there was once a GLOW champion from Ohio.

(Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling for you youngsters, and frankly, as the name suggests, a lot of them were hot. Well, hillbilly hot, but thatā€™s a technicality.)

1 Like

I actually never said championships is what makes an MLB team relevant. You said the Reds have won 3 in your lifetime. I said relevant for Miami basketball is MAC titles and NCAA tournament appearances/wins.

2 Likes

Lairy didnā€™t give Moss space. Lewis gave 2 hip checks and hit the arm on the putback for his 3 fouls. Maddox beat Tatum to the spot in the lane. Yofan hustled, but was late to the ball and committed the foul.

1 Like