To the Keyboard Coaches Chorus

If you think Chuck Martin didn’t want to win this and every game then I seriously doubt you know which is which.

I don’t know what you guys were watching but I saw a team ready to play balls out starting with the first play of the game. I saw a team that was well prepared and not fooled by anything UC did. I saw players selling out on every play. I saw a very well coached team that but for a muffed hold on a 19 yard field goal likely wins the game.

I also saw players all over the field making plays and winning one on one battles especially in our passing game. I saw the most talented freshmen QB we’ve had since Big #7. The young man found his way from Oklahoma to Oxford to play for a coach who doesn’t care about winning. Does that actually make sense to anyone? And I saw a team vastly superior to the one that played in Pittsburgh. They IMPROVED. Why do you think that happened?

Since when has playing the percentages and taking the points been construed as “not trying”?

Well we at least have you all on record saying the rest of the games don’t matter. Thank goodness we won’t have to suffer your coaching insights again this season.

4 Likes

MOFs of MHT never beating the allegations.

4 Likes

Doesn’t matter how prepped they are by CM or how much he cares if they don’t ever win big games.

2 Likes

I haven’t read through every post on the game thread, but no post game messages went after players or made any comment to their effort… only comments on the coaching staff, and particularly the head coach.

2 Likes

@Redhawks97 There’s a difference between wanting to win and knowing how to win.

4 Likes

Its not 2006 anymore. We’re spending $8m on our rosters (reportedly). I don’t care if we’ll compete for the MAC. We could drop down to FCS and compete in the Missouri Valley Football Conference against Illinois State and Southern Illinois. The casual fan would care just as much as playing Eastern Michigan and Ball State.

We just pissed away a 21 point halftime lead vs our rival in the last regularly scheduled game of a 120+ year rivalry. We went 2-19 against them since I stepped foot in Oxford in 2004. Everyone on the team deserves to have their feelings hurt and eat a little shit. These aren’t plucky student athletes anymore. They’re being paid a lot of money. I believe everyone on that sideline wanted to win, but wanting isn’t enough. They aren’t being paid to want to win.

10 Likes

Thank you, I love to see some rationality here. Too many ppl saying great effort for a small school. We’re spending big money and still seeing the same coaching errors

I’d kind of be for that. Drop football to FCS and do the Dayton thing.

2 Likes

QT?–so if we go 9-0 the rest of the year and win the MAC and a bowl game it doesn’t matter because we lost yesterday? Still want to fire Coach?

3 Likes

Dropping to FCS is silly.

3 Likes

I think a move to the front office should be highly considered if not moving on. He has a ceiling. I’d love to rip off some wins but the whole schtick is worn out and not energizing donors/fans. It’s the same story every time yesterday was UNLV 2.0

1 Like

Let’s see if Chuck can even beat Jason candle next week…

1 Like

Chances of that happening are Slim to None and Slim just left Oxford

1 Like

I’m assuming that this is a take from Army of Darkness?

One, that isn’t happening. UConn, OU, and WMU are probably 2-3 losses, plus another random one to some other MAC school.

Two, even if we win 7-9 games from here it doesn’t change Martin’s ceiling at Miami. The MAC is quasi-FCS at this point, killing Akron doesn’t do anything for us.

1 Like

Do tell, to whom do you feel entitled to serve a shit sandwich; every player or just those being paid? Do you have to have a minimum income for an invite to your feces feast? Do you exempt 18 and 19 year olds?

So how do you split the shit?

Homeboy. Did you read what @Hoosierhawk wrote?

We have an $8M roster. Our coaches are easily clearing another $2.5M. The program solicits money from the supporter base, including posters on this board, to fund the operation. Here’s a newsflash: most of our players don’t even attend classes on campus anymore. The game you know is gone.

And, even if it weren’t, even if these were all student athletes playing for nothing but scholarship and the love of the game, yesterday’s pants pissing is worthy of ire from any fan base with any life left in its bones.

9 Likes

I didnt want to post until the next day because it was so disappointing

But I am not blaming this one on Coach Martin. I thought the FG was the right call. I felt like we were aggressive on offensive play calling (i much prefer him over last year).

We had chances to put the game away and screwed up. Our Fg team is generally good - it wasnt yesterday.

I was excited about what I saw yesterday and then very sad. But the first half was the best I have ever seen us play

4 Likes

Rwdhawks97-I want to tell you a little story about someone who wore a chinstrap and a jockstrap. A diminutive high school player who played 1979-1983. All of 5’4” 135 pounds. So Scoop Smith decades before Scoop but without all the God given talents and abilities as Scoop. But played every down, every play like it was his last. RB/DB. Loved contact. Didn’t shy from it. Took a lot of heat because of his size and also because he was the only Jewish kid on the team. And the opposing teams knew it and weren’t shy about the comments they made. Just pissed the little guy off and made him play harder. Played for the Sharon Tigers under the legendary Western PA coach Jim Wildman, in the WPIAL. Played Beaver Falls, New Castle, Farrell, Pittsburgh North Allegheny to name a few. And on 4th and 1 on the oppositions 1 yard line, you know what Coach Wildman would say to the team? “Score the fucking touchdown”. And had he called any other play, the parents of those players, mainly hardworking steelworkers, they would have been incensed. Because the fathers wore chinstraps and jockstraps in their day as well. And no one would question the call. And almost every time, they “scored the fucking touchdown”. Because you played to win. And that work ethic was instilled in all those young men on the team-put in the work and play to win. Decades later that 5’4” football player is 61, has Stage 4 Metastatic Prostate Cancer that has spread to his abdominal and pelvic lymph nodes, and frankly has a poor prognosis. But throughout the cancer treatment, including almost 60 straight days of radiation and other treatment that continues to this day, and will daily the rest of his life, taking no days off, he was at his desk before 630am as an attorney representing his clients’ who depend on him, because most of them can’t afford to play it safe. Because they need someone to represent them who plays to win. To this day, he wears the chinstrap and the jockstrap and most definitely knows the difference between the two.
Love and Honor!

10 Likes