The Indiana job is open

Bill Mallory left for Colorado, then at NIU before Indiana.

1 Like

Canā€™t imagine a scenario that ā€œChuckie,ā€ gets a college gig (other than on Primetimeā€™s staff)ā€¦then again, Pitino is a mentor of young men, lol.

That said, not seeing it.

2 Likes

And Hugh Freeze and Bobby Petrino, as well. So proud we beat Petrino in the GMAC bowl!

Trueā€¦but, Gruden I mean, oof, he committed career you know what.

Something tells me Jon Gruden is interested in a lot of jobs after how his last gig ended.

IMO, IU isnā€™t a good job. Aside from being a beautiful campus, football is second to basketball (and always will be), thereā€™s not the NIL support like other Big 10 schools, and now there arenā€™t even divisions. IU hasnā€™t won a Big 10 championship since the 60ā€™s and now they need to be better than:

• Michigan
  • Ohio State
  • Penn State
  • Oregon
  • UCLA
  • USC
  • Washington

Theyā€™re not even the best Big 10 team in their own state, a state that isnā€™t known for consistently producing top football talent. To put it in perspective, Indiana had 21 kids go to P5 schools from the class of 2023 and had 40 kids rated in 247 (Purdue landed 5 of them and IU landed 1). Ohio had 40 kids go P5 alone with 93 ranked (Purdue landed 2 and IU landed 1). How do you turn that around when Purdue will always out-recruit you in Chicago and you donā€™t have a foothold anywhere else?

1 Like

They might get Chuck, but not Chucky.

Hard to see this working at the Presidentā€™s/AD Board meetings.

Theyā€™ll need to be better than Wisconsin and Iowa, as well. Northwestern and Rutgers might be the only B1G programs consistently worse than Indiana on an ongoing basis.

I was being generous while Fickell rebuilds Wisconsin (since they did beat them this year) and I have no idea what Iowa will look like post-nepobaby, but youā€™re right. What does success even look like at IU? Just being bowl eligible?

2 Likes

Unless they load up OOC on the ULMs, New Mexicos, Kent States and UMass bowl eligibility for IU will become an increasingly elusive goal.

1 Like

Iā€™m also hearing Deland if Chuck is hired somewhere

1 Like

Deland knows from experience how to run the ball. He has the USC and Notre Dame recruiting experience.

Reputable source tells me Jermaine on short list if Chuck goes. Need a Miami man.

2 Likes

Iā€™m seeing Deland on Indianaā€™s list.

Iā€™m sure he is there too

1 Like

McCullough has built a nice career for himself, but based on his resume Iā€™m not impressed with his experience translating into a canā€™t-miss head coach for us right now. Not many successful FBS coaches came straight from position coach jobs, and someone whoā€™s spent his playing/coaching career almost exclusively in the RB position doesnā€™t strike me as well-rounded enough to recruit, develop, and manage a program right off the bat. If Chuck leaves and we hire someone else as coach he would be an intriguing OC candidate because he has interesting experience and is a Miami man, but Iā€™d prefer we aim higher. This isnā€™t 2013 when we were in a state that people thought Chuck was crazy to take a pay cut to come here, anyone whoā€™d take over would inherit a program with a strong culture and a lot of talent thatā€™s ready to win now.

Easy solution: Deion can replace Chuck.

I should be an athletic director.

1 Like

Spare me. Prime lost three of his top recruits in the last 24 hours.

My source says that they want Colleen Day Henderson and Jermaine to be co-head coaches.

1 Like

Regardless of what happens, one coach in Saturdayā€™s game could be looking at a P5 job. And his name ainā€™t Chuck!

3 Likes

So thereā€™s a Candle in the Wind?