The future of Miami vs UC

@mpurdy22 And perhaps widen the footprint for some of those buy games and G5 home and homes. Our schedule is the most Midwest-centric of any MAC team. Expanding the footprint could give us wider exposure and bring in more “exotic” teams into Oxford - like a San Diego State, Tulane, or Coastal Carolina.

2 Likes

When I lived in the Midwest (but never near Oxford), selfishly I really liked us playing OOC against P5 schools in that region, because I could attend quite a few of them.

At the same time, with all schools looking for a decent payday, I would imagine that schools like San Diego State May want a little more now to come and play in Oxford. No matter what, I have always liked the idea of trying to get decent FBS G5 schools to come to Oxford…that is also one of the reasons I am loath to give up UC series if we can get them to Oxford once every 3 years. Makes for a great home schedule event!

2 Likes

Kind of a dumb argument. Travel costs for UC & Miami are really low, it’s a traditional game that gets OK attendance and gets fans interested. I think a home game vs Miami draws better for UC than a home game against Troy or LA-Lafayette.

Anyhoo, I doubt there’s even going to be a Big 12 in 2029, and schools like Houston, UC, Tulsa, Miami-OH, UCF, NIU, K-State, etc. are gonna be in the small, leaky boat watching the SEC/B1G superconferences expand and hoard the money/resources. So, who are they gonna play and pay? Answer: EACH OTHER.

1 Like

Definitely keep this rivalry! Crazy to let this go.
I would much rather play at Paul Brown than Nippert. Nippert is tough venue.

1:1:1 ration - home/away/neutral would be best, but unlikely UC would agree.
Another option…
All football at Paul Brown and home and away guaranteed basketball games going forward would be acceptable and interesting.

3 Likes

Then I am very impressed with just how many students made it to the game. Wonder how many more would have been there if they had provided busses.

1 Like

Realistically, winning the MAC and maybe an occasional bowl game is probably the most Miami can aspire to, given the resources currently available to the program. UC has risen to national prominence by investing millions of dollars into personnel and infrastructure - for coaches, strength and conditioning development, and a huge investment in facilities. They are getting ready to spend $70+MM for a new indoor practice facility and sports performance center.

Is it realistic to think that a) Miami can raise the kind of money it would take to make lifting current aspirations practical; and b) if that money were available, would/should the university administration make that investment? Even if a donor were willing to pony up $200MM+ to upgrade football, should Miami do it?

I don’t think that money is going to be available, and shouldn’t/wouldn’t be spent on football even if it were.

1 Like

I very much disagree with this post. Before the college football playoff expansion was approved with the 6 highest rated conference champions getting a bid, what you say happening was very possible. Not now. The Big 12 has an almost automatic bid to the playoffs every year and a reasonable chance to add an at large bid some years. I don’t think anyone else is leaving that league because their access to the playoffs just went way up and getting Oklahoma and to a lesser extent Texas out of the way makes all the teams think it will be possible for them to get in.

1 Like

If your position is that the site of the game should alternate between Yeager and Nippert, and that is the bottom line for you, the series will end when the current contract does. UC is about to go from 4 non-conference games to three. They aren’t going to play a non-conference road game with Miami every other year.

1 Like

Best we can realistically hope for is the 1/1/1 deal rotating with Yager, Nippert, and PB Stadium. I would reluctantly be OK with a 2 for 1 deal as a fall back position, not that I prefer it. Given UC’s emerging status and investment in a P5 program and conference, getting them in Yager once every third year would make that deal still worth considering.

Nippert is such a tough place for visitors. I don’t think I want a 2 for 1 with them. 1-1-1 is fine with me. I don’t really mind playing at Paycor once in awhile. If our program gets better, that could also be a great atmosphere and a big crowd.

1 Like

Fine with me. There’s ZERO reason to sacrifice a home game to give UC an extra one in a crappy stadium

Here’s the new Big 12

Cincinnati
Baylor
BYU
Houston
Iowa State
TCU
Kansas
Kansas State
Texas Tech
UCF
Oklahoma State
West Virginia

The ACC has
Boston College
Clemson
Duke
Pitt
Florida State
Ga Tech
Louisville
Miami (FL)
NC State
UNC Chapel Hill
Syracuse
Virginia
Virginia Tech
Wake Forest

If the top teams from these leagues go to SEC or B1G, like Clemson, Miami FL, Baylor or Okla St (which will never happen bc OKLA would never let them in to their conference), they become the next Big East.

What would stop a top program from the ACC or Big 12 from leaving, if asked? And who the eff cares about K-State vs Cincinnati? Wake Forest vs Duke?

1 Like

OK. And your point is, Carm?

The big12 is P5 in name only without a truly nationally contending team.

I think his point is major college football is an exclusive club, and UC ain’t really in it. As soon as the Big Ten and SEC decide to breakaway and form their own ecosystem UC isn’t going to be involved.

5 Likes

But then how did Pitt and Louisville get in? Money? Beyond Pitt’s National Championship in ‘76 they aren’t relevant. Louisville had a few ok years in football under Petrino. And won three Nati’s in basketball. But then nothing else comes to mind. That said, if that’s the criteria then Villanova would be higher regarded as an add despite the fact their football isn’t big time. All of this confuses me greatly.

1 Like

When that happens though, UC won’t be back in a group with the Miami’s…so does it matter, they’ve elevated quite a bit higher than top G5…last 4, 2021…right?

UC has to be one of the winningest programs last 4-5 years in CFB, as hard as that is to admit.

That said, I think we still have a better bowl record…which is remarkable.

Sure. But once the upper echelon of CFB breaks away and creates their own thing, I expect the leftover college football world to look a lot different.

And maybe UC does end up getting in the upper echelon. They’d need to get into the ACC because I doubt Ohio St is going to let another Ohio school into the B10.

My point is the SEC & B1G are very likely to keep expanding, and the top teams in the ACC, Pac-12 and Big 12 will be enticed by playing for a National Championship AND a slice of a bigger pie.

A Big 12 without Texas and Oklahoma isn’t as desirable or competitive a conference. Pac-12 without USC & UCLA is not either – Washington and Oregon are the de facto best teams in the conference, not exactly top tier competition vs the B1G & SEC best teams. ACC minus Clemson is similar.

Eventually, B1G & SEC will dictate completely the terms of the TV and bowl championship mega-deals, and basically leave the other conferences the scraps. Think of it like the NCAA Men’s Basketball tournament vs the NIT: They’re both big college basketball tournaments, but one has the top teams, coaches and players, the other is more of an afterthought. That’s what I think will happen with NCAA CFB by the end of the 2020s.

I could be wrong, though.

1 Like

We talk about how hard it is to win at Nippert…we’ll, truth be known it’s hard for all teams to win on the road, especially G5 at P5 stadiums.

Quite a few years ago, back in the day when Miami’s prowess on beating the big boyz got a decent amount of press, I saw a stat on the B10 whereas away teams won only 27% of conference games.

So, yeah, it’s really hard to win on the road…but if we can beat a power program 2 of every 10 times, well, that’s all not bad.

1 Like