The Big 16!

As things shape up, it’s now clear that the UC Regents can’t stop UCLA from moving to the Big Ten. But they might have the power to make UCLA share Big Ten TV revenue with Cal…

2 Likes

Ooooooo………Yahoo! Sports is living rent free in this board members’ heads with the possibility of two Florida teams being added to the Big10

All this is all the more reason to abandon the semi pros power conference teams and embrace schools like Miami and MAC schools where there’s still a shred of student left in the term “student athlete.” I live in Columbus and I’ll still watch ohio state when its’s convenient and fits my schedule but sure as hell won’t go out of my way if I have something else to do.

Crap like this makes me puke…
While initial reports suggested that Stroud would be driving a $150,000 Bentley Bentayga, the
quarterback “changed his mind” and opted for a $200,000 Mercedes G Wagon, [according to
NBC4 in Ohio]

They are semi pros and bit too much for my taste. Anybody out there in HawkTalk land drive a $200,000 Benz around when they were living in Oxford?

3 Likes

The media is hoping numerous Walmart fans - the majority of folks who don’t have an actual alma mater - embrace the new super conference teams. Traditional alumni allegiance is only secondary to their marketing, which will resemble the cookie cutter approach of the NFL. This is a new era of professionalized college football at the highest level. Lane Kiffin was right. The current environment of “UNBRIDLED NIL” has basically just “legalized cheating.”

GO MIAMI! GO G5!

I knew a girl who had a G Wagon at Miami.

The guy across the hall from me in Stanton had a Porsche 911.

Hands down, the single greatest automobile I ever saw in Oxford was owned by Nod Washington. If you’re too young to remember him, he was an undersized wide receiver who was likely one of the fastest dudes ever to play for Miami. Nod drove a Buick (or it could have been a Cadillac Cimarron as it was basically the same car) but it was all gold and had big, beautiful rims on it. The car wasn’t big, but likely because of the finish and his personality, everyone knew it on campus. Damn I hope he still has it.

1 Like

I’ve seen quite a few Asian students with Maseratis……

A couple of Middle Eastern men students had Pontiac Firebirds with the Firebird emblazoned on the hoods. They weren’t athletes. The coolest car I ever saw in Oxford was one driven by former NBA star Ron Harper - an off-white Bentley convertible with tan leather interior.

2 Likes

College football was moving in this direction long before NIL, but NIL is an easy target for you because its clear you don’t understand it and what’s driving P5 football towards professionalism. If you truly are disgusted with the whole “professionalization” of big time college football you’d boycott Ohio State altogether, not just when it’s convenient for you.

2 Likes

I lived in Level 27 my junior year, a complex that at the time (2014-15) had a rep for being very heavy in international students population. It was a running joke among my roommates that we called it the “Oxford Auto Show”.

I had a groupmate from China who was a good guy. He had a gorgeous Beemer, at some point he explained during a meeting at King that if you were a Chinese student you could buy a luxury car, drive it for four years, ship to East Asia, and sell it for more than you bought it since many of those brands are so hard to come by over there. No idea if that was 100% true, but interesting to note.

1 Like

Had a Ford Fairmont station wagon, parked it in Millett.

2 Likes

was he from la jolla, ca?

2 Likes

light blue 1979?

1 Like

Tomato Red 1977, with plastic interior.

funny…i hated the “electronic” choke on that engine…you couldn’t start the car (in the cold) and drive it…you had to let the engine “warm up” at, what seemed to be, 3,000+ rpms for a few minutes.

“Newsom demands UCLA explain publicly how leaving Pac-12 for Big Ten is beneficial”

Meanwhile, in the UCLA AD’s office…

https://tenor.com/bh2Mm.gif

FFS how do you embed a gif here?

By just posting the link on its own line. No need to do anything else.

1 Like

2 Likes