The Big 16!

All over Social media today. USC and UCLA moving to Big Ten. College sports are a mess right now.

2 Likes

Absolutely stupid from a travel cost standpoint. For all parties. President of Rutgers is probably downing Mylanta as we speak.
Edit: this feels like bs. I can’t find any mentions. I’ve been had!

1 Like

Multiple outlets reporting

1 Like

The reason we didn’t paint the MAC logo on the new turf is because we’re awaiting our Big 10 invite!

4 Likes

You’re right! This is nuts.

1 Like

So, if USC/UCLA wins the Big 10, they go to the . . . . Rose Bowl?

1 Like

These schools last concern is a little air travel. The new media package for B10 is, IIRC, $1B. That buys many flights to wherever. Hell, they could establish a B10 airlines exclusively for use by the teams. G5 is pretty much doomed from realignments and NIL. Asking a kid to give up thousands or millions of dollars to attend a school with very limited NIL could be the end of teams like Miami getting P5 players.

1 Like

Double M, you might be right there but we are talking about transporting athletes in all sports mens womens plus staff from NJ to Cali multiple times a year. Fuel prices are rising and then there’s the complexity of the seasons and all the delays air travel brings. I can see how it works in limited engagements when one East Coadt team plays a West Coast team on spring break or the like, but this is multiple series across every sport. Good grief.
Ps, I bet you anything Virginia, Duke and UNC are talking to the Big or SEC right now.

little 16

2 Likes

They’re gonna dump Rutgers and Nebraska so fast

1 Like

Is this going to lead to a Big20 and an SEC20 in a few years. Are we going to see the ACC break up or try to grow. Is this the end of college football as we known it. How about the playoffs. Will the PAC 10 seek more teams such as CSU. The dominoes are just beginning to fall. Hang on football fans. Wow, more questions than answers.

1 Like

UCLA’s athletic department is something like $65 million in debt. The B1G tv money alone makes it solvent and takes care of a huge problem that was beginning to affect the greater UC system’s ability to borrow money.

1 Like

Hey Notre Dame! Are you going to the Big16, the SEC 16 or are you joining the ACC for football also? Independence seems off the table to me. Wow this is fun. What are the Miami’s of the world to do?

1 Like

I spoke to a good friend, fellow Miami grad living in Wisc. He had not heard the news. I commented that the money for football and in bball by some is so big that they can afford it. The bottom line and as I told him, I am confident an adult in the room asked the question–what are we going to do with the Olympic sports? The answer clearly was don’t worry about it.

2 Likes

Apologies for thinking you catfished me. Clearly you are in the know. What else do you know? Any stock tips?

1 Like

Olympic sports? I see two possibilities. One would be a large number of multiple team multi day meets and tournaments etc. A second possibility is to divide those sports into two separate divisions based on geography. Wow this is fun.

Not any good ones, for awhile.

1 Like

I saw some speculation on Twitter that the Big 12 will attempt to poach some remaining PAC 12 teams Oregon, Washington) and renege on their agreements with UC, Houston, and UCF. Seems like a long shot, but seeing UC get screwed like that would make my year.

4 Likes

Huskies and Ducks don’t want to go Big 12.