The 2024-25 season regular season thread

Forwards.

2024-25 Miami preview: Forwards – View From the Glass

3 Likes

Anyone else think it’s a little strange that it’s game week and we still don’t know who the captain(s) is/are? Captain Jack was announced in August. I get the circumstances are a little different this season given the new coaching staff, but still can’t help but to be curious.

1 Like

Yeah for sure. I was also hoping for more updates this preseason than we got. We had the Noreen video about a month ago and nothing else since.

2 Likes

Maybe we’ll find out Wednesday, assuming there will be a press conference this week. I agree though with the lack of updates going on, I’ve really had to snoop around in order to find anything new. Miami hasn’t even posted anything about the fact that the season opener is this week.

https://x.com/TheNCHC/status/1840874280738779553

He said the captaincy decisions may play out into the regular season.

I’m posting a series preview Thursday and I’ll have the exact quote in that write-up.

4 Likes

Defensemen:

2024-25 Miami preview: Defensemen – View From the Glass

2 Likes

We always used to have an exhibition game to start the season, often a Canadian team. Is that just no longer done?

I think they were on their way out but then covid really killed them accross the board.

16-17 was the last time Miami opened the season with an exhibition, choosing instead to host a Canadian team over the holiday break in an attempt to stem the tide of the Rico Swoon. Since 19-20 we have had no exhibition at all.

It appears only 6 teams are playing an exhibition game to open the season. 3 of those are Canadian schools, the others are two U18 team games and Alaska playing Grand Canyon U’s club hockey team.

Omaha’s first game is an exhibition game against Wisconsin using that newish rule where d1 teams can play each other in exhibition

I think Miami is going to get back to playing at least one exhibition.

1 Like

Can we make all our conference games exhibition?:grin:

They may be, but I hope not.

https://x.com/collegepucknxt/status/1841294789452468605?s=46&t=mPlcG4M_xdzFZMdSX_jqFA

4 Likes

Today’s the 6 month anniversary of Anthony Noreen becoming our coach! And less than 72 hours until game time :smile:

I want to again add to what people said earlier about not getting many updates as were getting closer to the season starting. If I were a student and followed Miami hockey on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, and TikTok I would have NO clue the season starts in 2 days. All they’ve done regarding the season was a repost of the NCHC 10 days graphic a week ago. Maybe they’ll ramp up publicity for the first home series but if not they’ll just have to rely on word of mouth that we have a hot new coach to get butts in seats.

There’s just so much to be excited about for this season and it’s disappointing they’re not doing more to get the hype going with students and fans. All I can do is keep relistening to the non-Miami affiliated podcasts Noreen has gone out of his way to do.

Maybe there’s things I don’t know but it seems doable to maintain a stronger online presence. Miami Football does a great job of it, men’s and women’s hoops have kept us in the loop, soccer, field hockey, golf, etc, all have a better presence. I follow other college hockey teams too and at this point I know more about them than I do our own team.

Anyways rant over :joy: thank you to Bonk and Jeff Middleton for being the ones to keep us informed about team happenings

4 Likes

What exactly do you mean by ‘hot new coach’?

But yeah, not much out there. I mean The Miami Student is kind of laughable these days but at least it used to do stories leading up to the season.

So…am I the only person on here going to Big Rapids?

1 Like

Brad Shaw is an incredibly articulate and intelligent person and I loved interviewing him when he coached the Cincinnati Mighty Ducks, but every time I think about him my first image is he slow he was in that game and how he absolutely labored up the ice.

I think you know what I mean by hot new coach😂 the only thing about the team I’ve heard from students that don’t follow closely is that they’re excited to see the attractive coach or see how the new coach does. And I don’t blame them, they don’t get the chance to learn much else about the team.

I’m not saying the team needs to be like Football and put out weekly pressers, post game pressers, a 25 minute weekly show, have hawk tawk appearances, do position overview videos, and post 3x a day on socials or be like the bigger market hockey teams who are always doing QOTDs, meet the team posts, and online video trends but at least a “Game Week” graphic for the first series would be nice.

And whatever happened to the preseason fan rally they used to do? Or the open practice this year? I just get jealous seeing fans of other teams getting to live my dream :joy:

4 Likes

There has to be a happy medium between doing nothing and doing all that football does. Not sure how many people would follow it all, but I certainly would!

3 Likes