Standing Alone - Miami University with an Interesting Trifecta

With the LA Rams winning the Super Bowl today, this has led to an interesting trifecta and I believe Miami is the only university to have:
(1) FOUR former Miami U players as a head coach win a Super Bowl or an NFL title (prior to the Super Bowl) with three winning a Super Bowl (Sean McVay, John Harbaugh, Weeb Ewbank - NFL 1958 & 1959 and Superbowl III, and Paul Brown - NFL 1950).
(2) An alumnus who was President of the USA (Benjamin Harrison)
(3) A Super Bowl starting winning quarterback (Ben Roethlisberger)

The second point of an alumnus being a USA President considerably narrows the field. Is there any other university can fulfill this trifecta? I say not.

4 Likes

Only 5 schools have the President/Super Bowl winning QB combo: Miami, Michigan, Navy, Stanford, Delaware

1 Like

Add a Miss America and/or a first round NBA draft choice and/or an NBA Champion and/or an NCAA Hockey Frozen Four finalist and Iā€™m sure we stand alone.

3 Likes

No one else fulfills the SB coach/SB QB/US President trifecta. I also believe no other school has three SB winning coaches (Iā€™m not going back to pre-Super Bowl titles because Iā€™m lazy). There are several with two: Pacific, San Jose State, BYU, Dayton, and Eastern Illinois. But I think weā€™re alone with three!

1 Like

Thanks, Chuck, for the research of these universities with two Super Bowl winning coaches. The Cradle of Coaches is in a class by itself (as least in this case). :slightly_smiling_face:

And donā€™t forget about the University of Arkansas w/ 2 Super Bowl winning coaches (Jimmy Johnson, Barry Switzer). Woo Pig Sooey!!

1 Like

I would wager we are maybe the only school in ā€˜Murica that has former athletes who have won World Series (Bill Doran) SuperBowl (Ben R.) NBA Championship (Ron Harper) and Stanley Cup (Dan Boyle). And I know we have multiple players who have also won these titles in some sports, but these were the first 4 names that came to mind. Ps, u of Michigan might be able to match this now that I think about it but still rare.

3 Likes

Bowling Green has done this, Iā€™m pretty sure.

2 Likes

Yes, but they donā€™t have trees on campus so it doesnā€™t count.

5 Likes

Also Walter Alston won several World Series Championships as manager of the Brooklyn/LA Dodgers! Quite a legacy for Miami!

3 Likes

Winning Super Bowl coaches, winning Super Bowl quarterback, U.S. President, AND an actor on the sitcom Gilliganā€™s Island!

2 Likes

Wait what? Now I need to Google this.
Also, arenā€™t those ā€œSurvivorā€ shows all basically just a direct lift of Gilliganā€™s Island? And once they were rescued, why didnā€™t they just keep extending the premise to their new life: Gilliganā€™s Cul-d-sac. Gilliganā€™s cubicle. Total miss there.

Edit: holy crap! Itā€™s Tina Louise! Ha cha cha!

1 Like

Who was on Gilliganā€™s Island, from Miami?

3 Likes

Tina Louise

1 Like

No kidding. Iā€™d figure Thurston & Lovie are more of the West Side of Millett basketball seating fans

1 Like

More Than a Trifecta

President Benjamin Harrison 1889 ā€“ 1893

Medal Of Honor winner Terrence C Graves ā€“ Second Lieutenant, US Marine Corp killed in action in Vietnam February 16, 1968.

Rita Dove ā€“ Poet Laureate of the United States from 1993 to 1995. The first African American Poet Laureate and the second African American to win the Pulitzer Prize in Poetry (1987).

Olympic Gold Medalist Bill Mulliken 200 Meter Breaststroke Rome 1960

Olympic Gold Medalist Bob Schul 5,000 Meter Run Tokyo 1964 - (the only American to ever win the 5,000 Meters)

Olympic Gold Medalist Dan Boyle Ice Hockey Vancouver 2010

3 Time NFL Championship Coach Paul Brown ā€“ 1950, 1954, and 1955

2 Time NFL Championship Coach Weeb Eubank ā€“ 1958 and 1959

4 Time World Series Winning Manager Walter Alston 1955, 1959, 1963 and 1965

Super Bowl Winning Coach Weeb Eubank 1969

Super Bowl Winning Coach John Harbaugh 2013

Super Bowl Winning Coach Sean McVey 2022

Super Bowl Winning Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger 2006 and 2009

5 Time NBA Champion Ron Harper 1996, 1997, 1998, 2000, & 2001

NBA Champion Wayne Embry 1968

Hobey Baker Winner Andy Miele 2011

Stanley Cup Champion Alec Martinez 2012 & 2014

Stanley Cup Champion Blake Coleman 2020 & 2021

Stanley Cup Champion Dan Boyle 2004

Stanley Cup Champion Kevyn Adams 2006

Stanley Cup Champion Jeff Zatkoff 2016

World Series Champion Adam Eaton 2019

2 Likes

Also, your friend Yellow here won his fantasy football league. I was hoping Miami would put at least an action figure outside Yeager for me but sadly, itā€™s not happened.

1 Like

That sounds like a good idea! Maybe I can get one too! Back in 2007, I finished first out of 94,000 players in The Sporting News Fantasy Football Contest. Local newspaper and Fox TV News affiliates each ran two stories. Sadly though, it was not until the following year (or next year) when they added free Super Bowl trip and tickets to the winning package.

If you still play, we have an opening in our MHT Fantasy Football League for 2022.1

1 Like

Not sure where these land on the list, but Miami grads have been Speaker of the House of Representatives, Senators, and Governors. A long list of CEOs as well.

1 Like

This is epically great! I am in awe. If youā€™ll have me in your league, I can promise Iā€™ll bring a great team name, will work the waiver wire the way a man in a XXXL pair of smooth side in sweatpants works an all you can eat buffet, and the shit talking will be tasteful yet pointed.

1 Like