Staff Changes

I think Burton is a much bigger loss than Conard, our running backs haven’t really developed the last few years-lot’s of potential coming in but never really got the results. I think the talent is still there, hopefully a new coach can get more out of them -also would help if they would stay in longer than one play before they take them out. Both nice men though, wish them the best.

1 Like

Chuck is well connected and it’s early. Someone good will turn up.

4 Likes

Recruiting coordinator doesn’t mean he only coordinates for the RBs. He manages the recruitment for ALL recruits. Who gets time/effort/etc. Pretty much everyone we sign is because of the recruiting coordinator. That said, my understanding is Pat Welsh is our recruiting coordinator and has been since Coach Martin got into town.

And I wouldn’t conflate numbers with development. One also requires a competent offensive coordinator. Down in the Bahamas I had a chance to talk to some UAB players before the game. We asked how they felt about Miami. They said they had no idea what the staff was trying to do with the run blocking scheme. Said it made no sense. On a positive note, they did say the pass protection was some of the best they had seen on film all year.

5 Likes

Good info. Thanks

I don’t think anyone including our players knew what we were doing on our run blocking. Our play calling was more than a little puzzling also at least that’s what I hear :smirk:

A post was merged into an existing topic: NIU game

Curious if Gus Ragland gets any consideration at RB coach. He’s currently an offensive analyst at Notre Dame.

1 Like

Miami has a Director of Player Personnel and an Assistant Director, what do they do if they have coaches doing recruiting coordinator duties?

Yeah a lot programs are going away from having a position coach also designated as the Recruiting Coordinator. Whether they call it a DOPP, General Manager, Director of Recruiting, etc., most staffs have a dedicated position. I remember CM publicly thanking the donor who endowed the program to hire such a position. Logan Meyer was the first, and now Coady Keller.

2 Likes

They are working full-time on recruiting responsibilities. A coach/RC can’t give full time for recruiting.

3 Likes

While this doesn’t have to be THE consideration, it should be a major consideration, and that is replacing these 2 with black coaches. Just like in the NFL, this has to be a major consideration for a number of reasons.

2 Likes

Or……you could replace them with the best coaches that you can find regardless of their superficial qualities. BTW…both that left are black.

3 Likes

I am aware of that and hence my point.

4 Likes

@CoolPapa All anyone has to do is look of the demographics of any D1 football team - including ours - to understand why your point is valid. It’s not 1973 in Oxford anymore.

2 Likes

I agree some of blocking schemes leave a bit to be desired, but go back and look at how many times our backs run with no vision. A play is called to go to whatever hole, our backs put their head down and run right at that hole, whether if it is blocked or not. There are numerous times this year where if the back would have looked and made a move they could have gotten more yards, but they just run to a spot and use no vision. That should and could be coached out of them, regardless of what the line is doing. Also our backs get no “rhythm” going in a game, run the ball, come out and stand. I know Miami isn’t Alabama but look how they handle their backs-forget what game it was but one series their back basically ran the ball down the field play after play, he only finally come out when he took himself out. That should happen regardless of the team. Nope, Miami, one play and out.

4 Likes

I agree with your analysis of our running backs…except on rare occasions, heads down and no vision for the hole…also, it was strange because in a couple of game Mozee looked really good and quick, and then in others he seemed slow and lethargic.

Our backs also seemed hesitant too often and took forever to move forward with impetus.

Gus is the new TE coach at ETSU

7 Likes

Good for Gus. Wish him the best of luck

Quite the Crusader

2 Likes