Stadiums...facilities

“10,634 Cincinnati 12-15-76”

Add another eight seats to accommodate the width of Coach Catlett’s tie.

2 Likes

Perhaps not in those exact words but there have been a number of insinuations that we have plenty of money to build other buildings on campus so why not make a new basketball arena a priority.

Yep. The most recent on this list was over 25 years ago.

1 Like

We drew like 8 and change for UC I thought 2 years ago, no?

Don’t delete your posts. It ruins the show.

Yep. But that didn’t make Blues’ Top 10 crowds list.

2 Likes

Yes, those are the two I was thinking and the rest of your post mirrors my thoughts as well.

1 Like

What was the attendance for the North Carolina game in 1975? I was sitting as high up in the far corner of the upper level and I don’t recall too many empty seats.

What a game!

2 Likes

Yeah I was also at that 1975 game vs. UNC…I sure seem to recall the place being sold out. Was also at the UC and WMU games on the top 10 attendance list.

WMU was really stacked that year, ranked 14th in the country at the time of our game (and beat our very good team 73-58), and although they made the sweet 16 in the NCAA tourney, they had the potential to go further. They finished 10th in the final rankings w a 25-3 record.
Paul Griffin, their power forward, ended up playing as back up in the NBA for 6-7 years.

1 Like

Beats me-I was 10 in 1975 and had never heard of Miami University! That Top 10 list is from Miami Athletics website.

I sure hope he dry cleaned the suit before returning it to Herb Tarlek

3 Likes

1970’s basketball coach? Pimp? Used car dealer? There’s a fun game to be had here.

Possibly a cousin of Marshall alum Soupy Sales. Gale is a Mountaineer. Soupy was the Black Sheep of the family.

1 Like

I was at that game, too, and it was packed.

I was there, too. Fantastic game…definitely a sell out. I’m surprised it’s not on the “Top 10” list.

Me too. I also thought it was a sellout.

“In what some consider the greatest game played in Millett Hall, No. 3 North Carolina escapes a packed house and an inspired Miami team, 77-75. After the game, which was decided by two late free throws, legendary UNC basketball coach Dean Smith says, “If all the MAC teams are like this team, I want no part of them.””

1 Like

The 12/9/97 game against Xavier was my favorite. This was during the point in the season when MUMB would cover the Men’s & Women’s Basketball games before the start of second semester when Basketball Band class took over. We would typically have half the band there for each game, however, Dr. Liles invited the whole band that game. I would say 90% of MUMB showed up that night and we were LOUD. So loud that Skip Prosser mentioned it at some point in an interview with 700 WLW about not being able to communicate with the team during timeouts.

Xavier was ranked in the top 10 and we won…fun times!

5 Likes

Big Sky stadiums - Montana has the best but Montana State, Sacramento State, Weber State and UC Davis could all work as G5 stadiums.

https://www.google.com/search?q=big+sky+football+stadiums&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari&dlnr=1&sei=wsbSZLyRCNaf5NoPl7u1wAo#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:9736cb63,vid:vNZt5eyKaog

1 Like

Raise a glass to Skip Prosser. The man died way too young and was a great coach.

5 Likes