Stadiums...facilities

Pickleball is fun. It has taken over most Court space in this area of NW Ohio. Finding court time, especially in colder weather is tough. The two Ys I play at each have three indoor courts. When open they are always full with 12-16 people waiting (it’s a doubles game)

I play a lot in Colorado and you must make a reservation the day before and they limit the numbers (and skill levels at various times).

Is this a good thread to use for Millett renovation news, if any? I have no idea what is in the works, but is there a way to redo the seating without tearing down and starting over? How much is needed for a new building? Would it come from capital project budget, or would Bogarde need to squeeze it out of big-time alums?

As good as any. Yes. My understanding is a “new building” isn’t on the table, only a renovation. It’d be coming from donors.

That said, a renovation would mean more than some lipstick. It would be almost a full gut of Millett while keeping the exterior.

1 Like

Just saw this. That’s what I had heard from Crawford early last season, but not surprised things changed between then and now.

I’ve said it before, the place is hardly worn out from overuse and the bones are still good. Shrink it and polish it up and create some atmosphere.

That and get a damn coach that will get us back on the winning track. And do it without having to beat little colleges we’ve barely ever heard of.

Anybody out there ever heard what the approximate cost might be to do a major Millet reno? A complete tear the place up, get rid of the track, cut down number of seats and redo the concourse, redo athletic department offices, fix up some meeting rooms and locker rooms and hopefully give the Athletic Hall of Fame its due course sort of major league renovation???

Serious question here re: the track inside Millett. Does it ever get used by indoor cross country?

1 Like

Do you know this for a fact?

Nope. Track would go and seats would be brought tighter to the court.

Crawford has previously said publicly over the past two-three years that Millett would get a full renovation with a new university hotel (to replace the Marcum Hotel) built right next to Millett… then COVID hit and that’s the last I have heard of it.

1 Like

I believe the number I had heard was 90 million. That was a while ago. It would probably be closer to 110-120 now.

Really…you think they’d spend that type of money on a redo?

It does appear that Millett as a facility is built well…
No idea what the plumbing, electric and HVAC are like but assume most of that has been checked, redone etc by now.

The structure seems immaculate.

2 Likes

Well they haven’t so I guess that answers the question.

The rumor was a complete re-do with a new volleyball facility addition.
The new Health Building Sciences building came in at a cost of $96 million including renovations to other areas to temporarily house the student health center. It is 165,000 square feet.
The new Data Science building is $58 million and 87,000 square feet.
That’s an average of about $600 per square foot for new construction.
Millett is 275,000.
Obviously not identical comparisons but you can probably infer that $300 per square foot to fully renovate Millett is not that out of this world.

1 Like

how about a $10M-$15M endowment fund to go triple the pay for a head basketball coach…then worry about another $80M for a new building…

btw…wtf is wrong with miami to think that they have to build a new hotel…is marcum condemned? is it constantly oversold? is there that much demand for a conference center in the outer most reaches of butler county oh?

3 Likes

Makes sense…I guess that’s where I struggle on this sometimes…but remodels are more expensive than from start in many cases and Miami sounds like it would be adding Volleyball…and hopefully just an option for hotel if money is there or cut that as HBacker notes.

Opened in 2020 65 mil…looks like half the size though as Millett (but not apples to apples)…and cost now are well eff’d.

1 Like

Yes

2 Likes

RedHawk11—Hell no I don’t know that for a fact. I’m not an engineer or architect. That said I have been in it plenty over the last 20 years going to fb games. My wife can’t pass it by without having to use the facilities :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I swear, other than some red seats, a lot more pics of Hall of Fame member pics and a lot of graphics covering the windows in athletic offices on concourse, it doesn’t look a lot different than it did back when I went there. I’m '79 grad. The assumption I’m making is, like most all public buildings it was built to last.

Whatever they decide to do please take the Liberty, Superdome, KY Speedway, etc. lead and put in multicolored seats so you don’t notice all the empties as much…

Personally, I think that looks tacky, cheap, and doesn’t help hide low attendance. Making the seats the same color as whatever color the fans are wearing does. We’re Miami, not Joseph and the technicolor dreamcoat. Nobody should take advice from Liberty or the Kentucky speedway. Make the seats red.

If it’s a renovation, let’s not make the place look worse.

10 Likes

Make the seats normal colors but electronic and able to show holograms of people when attendance is lacking. Also, have great beer and food offerings on the concourse. Like Montgomery Inn or Skyline. Or whatever’s current. Even if it costs more.

1 Like

It was as said in jest - but maybe the hologram idea🤔

2 Likes