Spring Game

Good question. I think he probably is - possibly because he never played a down at Houston. But I’m far from being an expert.

The rules seem to change often, but at one point there was a transfer window created for players during a head coach fire/hire that would not count towards the one free transfer. I assume that rule is still in place in regards to Kopp’s eligibility.

2 Likes

He is listed 3rd in depth chart. There are multiple examples of kids transferring back to back and playing. Three teams in 3 years. Spencer Rattler, Beau Allen and many more. Now, I have no idea how they are doing it?

1 Like

Whether he played a down at UH is irrelevant. As an undergrad, when he transferred to Colorado and accepted a scholarship, he used his one-time transfer exemption.

He cannot transfer again while still an undergrad without having to sit out a year. (Grad transfers are different.)

The coaching change only triggers a special window in which players can enter the portal. It has nothing to do with an undergrad’s one-time transfer exemption.

Unless Miami Compliance filed an appeal to the NCAA on Kopp’s behalf, and the appeal was granted (safety or mental health risk), he can’t play this fall.

The only other avenue for immediate eligibility would have been a non-participation waiver by Colorado, which the NCAA declared a few months ago it would no longer accept. Did Kopp slide in under the wire before the NCAA changed it?

Spencer Rattler transferred once (OU to Sakerlina). Not a good comp.

Beau Allen early enrolled at UK Jan. 2020, so with HS dual credits and full class loads, it’s possible that he earned his degree in three years (Dec. 2022) ala Shane Buechele. If so, grad transfers can transfer as many times as they want without having to sit out a year.

The only other path would have been if Beau transferred to Tarleton as a walk-on, but I’m not sure about how that works with the screwy NCAA.

You recently registered here and your only posts have been to question Kopp’s eligibility. I don’t know what your agenda is but I doubt the kid would be on the depth chart if he was ineligible. Regardless, nobody here can address this issue. I suggest you contact the compliance department with your concerns.

4 Likes

It says on 247sports.com that hes eligible immediately

1 Like

Isn’t there a waiver for athletes who are cut as part of a coaching change? Seems like BS that Deion would be able to cut the entire roster, and some players would be forced to sit a year because someone else decided to get rid of them.

Good find.