Someone smart answer this please

Because I was an adult films major whilst some of you were studying business, I lack some understanding of The Maths and need your help. Thus my question: Assuming football, hockey, and basketball were to sell out every single home game, which sport would make the school the most money. Note: I didn’t add in things like buy games or bowl games as I’m not certain if that’s apples to apples nor did I add in donor stuff as that’s hard to track. I would assume basketball given the number of seats at Millett? Ps, feel free to add in buy and bowl if you like. I honestly want to hear what people say.

1 Like

Football would bring in the most gross revenues. Yager has the largest potential seat capacity.

However, it also has the highest cost structure with 85 scholarships and the largest coaching and support staff.

The last number I saw was that the football budget was about $9.3 million

Men’s basketball was $2.3 million.

Hockey was $2.9 million.

I think Yager Stadium seating is now listed at 24,000.

MIllett was designed to seat 9,200 but I think it is now listed at 6,400 for basketball.

Goggin is around 3,600.

I have not run the numbers but I don’t think any of these programs could be self sustaining without university subsidy and student fees with the current cost structure.

In reference to your question ,basketball would seem to have the best chance to break even considering lower program costs, venue capacity, number of home games etc.

I don’t have time to run the numbers right now but perhaps someone else has a sharp pencil and the time.

2 Likes

Well, I’m sure my guess is as good as the next, but I would also guess basketball. I’m avoiding the topic of media deals here, and I think you need football to have the type of media deal Miami does. But you also only have 13 scholarships instead of 85. Millett is probably too big for a school Miami’s size at this point (in person attendance is down for nearly every sport at every level). Unless it’s a “BCS” type bowl game, most schools lose money. The travel cost is significantly lower since you’re only bringing ~15 players and some coaches instead of 65 and some coaches. Miami has a semi-trailer just for all the football gear and equipment at away games. If you want to count buy games, buy games are much cheaper in basketball, so that ticket revenue goes further.

But the bigger point is football typically has 6 home games while basketball has around 16.

@LaxDaddy mentioned the university report, but I think there’s some interesting accounting that happens with media money and other sources to make it look a bit better than it might really be.

1 Like

Thanks you both. Ps, if Millett has a seat, it counts. Unless the old ones were torn out.

Now I’m curious (and frantically trying to avoid going down a rabbit hole). What if every ticket available for every seat at Yager (football), Millett (men’s basketball), and Goggin (men’s ice hockey) was sold at face value over an entire academic year? In other words, what if every home game over the football, men’s basketball, and men’s ice hockey seasons during a single academic year was a sellout? What is the total ticket revenue and how much of the total athletic budget would it cover?

2 Likes

Like Cher who asked “do you believe in life after love” you ask the tough questions. Jokes aside, I’m actually curious about that myself. Also, I don’t really listen to Cher to be clear.

2 Likes

Yellow, I heard that you were born in the wagon of a travelling show and your mama used to dance for the money they’d throw. Your papa would do whatever he could, preach a little gospel, and sell a couple bottles of Doctor Good.

1 Like

I was born in the back seat of a Greyhound bus rollin’ down highway 41.

The rest of what you say is true though.

2 Likes

I’m not sure exactly how the revenue split works for the PBS games against UC, but we haven’t had 6 true home games in a season since 2017 and we aren’t scheduled to do that again until 2024.

Yager 24,286 x 5 x $22 $2,671,460
Millett 6,400 x 18 x $13 $1,497,600
Goggin 3,642 x 18 x $28 $1,835,568

Quick math. Of course this doesn’t account for student seating but they pay through student fees so let’s include all the seats. Ticket price is strictly an average and does not include youth ticket prices. Basketball has not put single game on sale yet but $13 is the price per game for season tickets.

1 Like
1 Like

This is fascinating!

Millett actually holds around 9,200 if you open it all up.

1 Like

Remember that music video where she was catted up and down the deck of an air craft carrier dresses like Lady Marmalaide? I’d like to remake that shot for shot but instead of Cher, I’d have Alexa. It would be hard to make tiny lingerie to fit Alexa, so I’d probably just leave it off and have the Alexa just sitting there. She’s still be singing and the sailors would still be hooting and hollering.

That’s what I was wondering as well. The interesting thing I see is that hockey has premium pricing likely due to limited seating and demand? If hoops gets really good, tickets could go significantly up (and still be a steal) and it would likely dwarf the other sports in profitability. But, there are likely hidden ways football could take the mantle. This is complicated. I need a coffee.

Isn’t that the concert/show number which would include all the floor seating?

-Edit. Based on what D-Day posted it’s clearly not lol

Here are actual attendance numbers from basketball games:

TOP-10 ATTENDANCES
Attendance Opponent Date
10,634 Cincinnati 12-15-76
10,091 Xavier 12-6-95
10,085 W. Michigan 3-3-76
9,989 Ohio 2-5-94
9,896 Cincinnati 2-1-93
9,881 Indiana 11-29-88
9,842 Ohio 3-2-85
9,411 Ohio 2-19-86
9,306 Ohio 2-3-96
9,183 Xavier 12-9-97

3 Likes

The high cost has likely helped drive fans away from hockey games. It doesn’t help that we have been terrible. Hockey currently has a premium cost for a non-premium product.

2 Likes

Arena looked pretty full this weekend

3 Likes

2,800 for Saturday. 1,500 for Sunday. Lots of students there on Saturday.

Look at the available tickets for Denver. Pretty similar to what was unsold this weekend.

1 Like