Some perspective on 9 wins

I went to Miami from 2012 through 2016, in that span we went 9-39 in football. To repeat, we played 48 games and won less than 20% of them. In the past four months we’ve played 11 football games and won 9. The offense certainly isn’t above criticism, but a lot of teams have meh or worse offenses and don’t win. We are, even if it isn’t pretty.

10 Likes

Honestly, I feel for ya L&H. In my 4 years at Miami we won 3 MAC titles, had 10 victories or more 3 years, and won two bowl games (against Georgia and South Carolina).

3 Likes

I think some special MHT respect is owed to Love and Honor all the other hardcore fans who attended Miami during athletic down years.

The first football game i attended was in 1986. My RA asked my to join him for our season opener. Being a football fan I said yes. I didn’t realize it was a road game at LSU. We won. It made it easy to be a fan.

It takes a special breed to have and keep the passion through the lean years.

5 Likes

In recent years, it been an annual pre-Thanksgiving tradition to chart all of the bowl eligible teams and all of the teams capable of becoming bowl eligible, because we’ve always been hovering around the 6-6 mark and there has been a question if we’d even get a bowl bid. Heck, even when we won the MAC in 2019, we finished 8-6. It feels odd to be 9-2. It’s great… but odd. I’m all for it feeling far more normal than odd if the team wants to keep winning like this year after year.

Let’s get a 10th win a week from Saturday and keep it rolling.

1 Like

…and we had so many very good teams in the Randy Walker years when we did t even sniff a bowl bid due to the limited number of games. I mean, our '95 team was 8-2-1 with a win over the Big Ten CHAMP, and our '98 team was 10-1 w win over North Carolina, and sat home at bowl season.

4 Likes

And the final bowl bid in 98 was given to the 6-5 North Carolina team that we beat! I am still pissed!

5 Likes

Yep, and they only took about 500 people to the bowl game.

I would have moved heaven and earth to go to a bowl game as a student ('94-'98) and even as a grad student for those teams (I was a grad asst at UC :see_no_evil: during the '98 season)…

We went to the California Bowl in my junior year, 1986. Lost to San Jose State. Still a great season. Same year we beat LSU 21-12.

2 Likes

That was some hot buttered bullshit. Both times!

2011-2015 here with ya my friend

2 Likes

Yes Bluesman…I was at both of those games…the incredible LSU win and then the disappointing loss in the Cal Bowl. The bowl game was still fun as I ran into a number of old acquaintances from Miami that day.

1 Like

That game at LSU was actually the third gsme of the season. We pounded Ball State in the opener and lost a shootout to UC in game 2. I think that loss to UC took the #8 Tigers’s attention off us.

Unfortunately, the only game I saw that season was the California Bowl 37-7 loss to San Jose State.

I watched the California Bowl with most of my DU fraternity brothers at an alum’s house.

1 Like

Watched the LSU game in a bar in Cancun

2 Likes

Wow, it goes to show you how fallible memories are. I attended the Riverfront shootout with UC but I would have sworn it was after LSU. I am wrong again.

At the California Bowl I was sitting right in front of President and Mrs Pearson, who I had hosted during an alumni visit. He gave me a lapel pin with the Miami latin seal on it that I still have.

I didn’t see the LSU game as I was working in the Mariners clubhouse that night. Fellow alum Randy Stearnes, the Ms community relations manager was monitoring the gsme and filling me in on the score.