Softball at Elon Tournament Weekend

Miami opened the season with fireworks this morning. Karli Spaid and Sami Bewick homered back-to-back to open the first inning to give Miami an almost immediate 2-0 lead over Evansville. It was freshman Bewick’s first AB as an RedHawk. Illinois transfer Addy Jarvis in the circle for Miami.

You can monitor the games down here on Gametracker. I was going to drive up for today’s games but I’ve got unexpected company coming in from that direction this evening.

Go RedHawks!

1 Like

Jenna Golembiewski has homered to lead off the second. 3-0 us.

5-0 after 5.

Any stream for this? I assume not but figured I’d check

Elon is a nice campus. One of Celia’s final 4. But there isn’t a damn thing to do in that town off campus. I did see Elon’s softball team practice when we went for her official visit. I love their basketball arena. It is what Miami needs. The Schar Center:

1 Like

Only flo sports for our game against Elon @ 2 EST. $30 a month isn’t worth it imo. Product is much lower quality than ESPN+ broadcasts

I hate Flo. I’m in the UNCW market and their sports are basically invisible. For some reason the CAA is locked into a contract with them. The conference needs to be on the ESPN platform.

1 Like

I was just on campus there in May. The Schar Center is awesome. Elon has invested a lot of money in campus facilities during the past 10 years…much akin to what High Point has done. But Elon has paid far more attention to its academic profile than HPU. It has started to attract lots of kids from New England and Middle Atlantic prep schools.

There are only two short blocks across from campus that resemble a college uptown area but the area is slowly adding shops and restaurants. Burlington’s robust shopping center area is just 2 miles south of campus, next to I-40.

Elon is definitely an up and coming university.

Final score vs Evansville: Miami 12 Aces 0 in seven innings. A three hitter!

RedHawks were down 7-1 after 2. Won 15-8.

1 Like

2-0 to start the year.

Miami sweeps doubleheader with App State 5-2 and 12-1. Some sweet Sun Belt revenge!

4-0 to start the year and ranked #32 in the national poll with 6 votes for the Top 25.

2 Likes

Did it also rain six inches and result in two dozen dropped catches?

Nope.73 degrees and partly sunny.

2 Likes

That’s the final NFCA coaches poll from last season.

The preseason NFCA coaches poll has us at 34 with 2 votes. The USA Softball preseason coaches poll has us at T36 with 4 votes.

2 Likes

Thanks. I looked at the NCAA site. It’s always hard to know what’s current and what’s not on their page.

Today’s game against Evansville is cancelled due to weather in Elon, NC.

Thanks to @Bluesman for the heads-up!

2 Likes

Great start!

1 Like

Redhawks hit 11 home runs in the 4 games. We want the Sooners!!

3 Likes

We get them -in a few weeks.