Sly Johnson...Still Catching Big Ones!

And they won the game!

1 Like

I always wondered why Ryne didnā€™t have a longer NFL careerā€¦he had a great rookie season as I recallā€¦did he differ an injury that affected his speed?

I do recall an injury (maybe multiple?). To me, while Ryne was fast, he was the quickest/shifty/most elusive WR that Miami has ever had. Any serious ankle or knee problem would cause that to suffer.

Forgot he was related JoJuan Armourā€¦mainly had some returns (punt/KO) in NFL for Panthers, right?

Current gigā€¦

I looked up Ryneā€™s statsā€¦just played the one year and was in every game. Fielded 30 punts with 11 run backs with average of 8.7 yards. Returned 26 kick offs with average return of 23 yards and longest of 60 yards. As a WR, caught 4 passes.

1 Like

Found this:

But Robinson sprained two ligaments in his left knee early in training camp last year. He healed slower than expected and was placed on injured reserve Oct. 8.

Was cut during training camp of year 3. Guessing he never recovered 100%. The article discussed that he had a good end to his rookie season then missed all of year 2.

1 Like

Yes thatā€™s sorta what I recollectedā€¦a shame as he was quite a talent!

3 Likes

Steve Fitzhugh! Thanks, Bash. I had earlier referred to a trick kickoff return called by Tom Reed, but I could not remember who scored.

Fitzhugh finished 3rd for Walsh Jesuit in the 300 m hurdles at the 1981 OHSAA Track and Field Championships running a 36.63. IIRC, he ended up in the Denver Broncos camp as an undrafted free agent and was one of the last players cut.