Skins

Thanks for the compliment! It is important to keep in mind that without us old farts, our historical perspective of what Miami athletics is would be limited simply the last 20 years or so - say 2002 to the present. Miamians from that era have had very little interaction with success as we knew it - an entire lost generation of Miamidom! We fossils - guys who had yo wrestle dinosaurs along Slant Walk - are eager to fix that problem before we check out.

3 Likes

Damn, I forgot all about wrestling the dinosaurs but not about when we had a really good wrestling team nor more importantly when we had pride in all all sports. Rather than dismissing our sorrow at the lack of success the last generation or so, the whipper snappers on here and elsewhere should be asking how do these guys maintain that passion and why are we youngsters so accepting or excuse giving for our lack of it. Our people did not become complacent with winning but embraced it and worked to maintain it. We expected nothing less. We had coaches that expected to win every game, athletic directors that directed and fans that were intense. Don’t think of us as living in the past but think of us as what should be aspired to now.

5 Likes

Bless you skins66! I’m simply amazed at how many creative excuses can be concocted for not putting your ass in a car in Centerville or West Chester and driving 45 minutes to attend your alma mater’s games - and on one of the “prettiest campuses there ever was”. Your comments evoked images of the hard ass personas of Dick Shrider and Darrell Hedrick. Those guys were blood sworn to overachievement!

1 Like

Hell, in “our” day, Miami was damned good at EVERYTHING! Ranked football and b-ball teams, great in men’s swimming, baseball, dominant in MAC men’s tennis, etc etc.

4 Likes

The Raiders must be reading your thread here, Skins. Wright State won at NC State, tonight (12/21/21) 84-70

Good for them…they are maybe not having the best start either, but as noted above have evolved over the last 15+ years into a very consistent and solid program that I’m sure expects to beat Miami, when they match up.

It’s logical that many of these schools that play bball only improved their programs…but proportionally, it’s does not make sense that a school that’s been DI since it’s existence has fallen so far off, just because it also plays football.

Wright St has 8-9K students and endowment of 95 mil…Miami has ~15-20k+ students and endowment of 500 mil…we can’t maintain a DI football and bball program, after years of ‘excellence’ to high level play?

1 Like

NC State has lost consecutive games to Richmond and Wright State.

This is a former national champion.

I have to imagine that there are discussions on the NC State board similar to this thread.

1 Like

Merry Christmas…Season’s Greetings to all the old farts here (and the rest of all you young’uns too) at MHT L&H!! We were there when things were consistently good in virtually every sport (and there were more of them!). Love & Honor! DM '79

2 Likes

Same to you, Daversma. If I ever stop trying, you know I’ll be dead and you can start a word Association for me. Love and Honor and Best UNT!

• DF ‘71
1 Like

They aren’t “creative excuses”, you just don’t agree with them

1 Like

Do whut? Excuses are friggin’ excuses. Maybe they aren’t that creative after all.

Right back at you Dave! TW ‘79