Second assistant named

This was almost the exact opposite of the issue with the Cooper regime. On defense they made things super overcomplicated and tried to do way too many things. They also built around transfers, so the players never had time to fully figure out the system. Then, because they put so much focus into the defense, the offense was obscenely bland and stale.

1 Like

Scheme-wise, Cooper may have tried to do too much, but there wasn’t a good defensive foundation anywhere in his regime. Nobody would ever confuse Cooper’s Miami teams of being good defensively. In fact, the more you have to try and complicate defense, imo, the worse you are.

Coles coached defense. You could see it day in and day out. The attention to detail on an individual and collective basis.

1 Like

Herb Sendek had no prior connections to the MAC before he became the head coach at Miami and he did pretty well.

Same for Bobby Hurley

Same for John Groce before he was hired at OU.

Nate Oats had no MAC experience before going on Hurley’s staff at Buffalo.

All went from the MAC to Power 5 programs after success in the MAC with no prior experience in the MAC.

Just saying.

2 Likes

Steele has recruiting ties to Midwest…his brother coaches at Akron…I’m sure they talk.

Steele was not unsuccessful at X…just not X’s new standard.

He has credibility still, relatively young…his energy will come up…I’m mean how many people were even @ a Miami presser.

Steele is working against many obstacles to get good hires I’m sure.

So not sure what you are expecting…plain simple Steele can recruit, and he’s learning to be a high level coach.

His record, even in tough BE is better than any coach Miami has had since Herb.

5 Likes

On paper a another great hire- compare this to the on paper lower level hire for the woman’s program- the men’s BB program clearly moving in the right direction - not so much on the woman’s side

2 Likes

I’ve already answered this… More of the same is the wrong direction. No energy/excitement. The same 10 years again.

A passive aggressive response to a question that has already been answered is ignorant.

1 Like

If you’re wrong I expect you to come here and own it. And I’m happy to do the same.

Not much more to discuss at this point, though, if you don’t want to throw out who wouldn’t be more of the same.

1 Like

Word.

2 Likes

Same with (ugh) Joby Wright.

1 Like

redfeather has been on MHT for eight (8) hours. Obviously, someone with, as others have speculated, an axe to grind. Too bad.
What it gets down to, and I told my son this, as much as I like Jermaine, or Ryan, or anyone else, I’ve loved Miami through a bunch of coaches. Several I can call my friend. But the program is bigger than any one person–coach, player, admin. In the end, all we want us to be relevant on the college scene. I sincerely hope, and believe, that we are moving in the right direction.

6 Likes

Well written and well said.
Ps, I’m watching a Scooby Doo with my son and it dawned on me that if we unmask red feather he could darn well be Bates. I see you Brad!

1 Like

You and me both!

My memories only date back to 1992-93 but I grew up accustomed to really good, well-coached Miami teams. That’s all I want. To legitimately look forward to basketball season again.

3 Likes

Phil—-My statement is not an original one. It has been said by many coaches who coached in the MAC. Yes, I’m a Buffalo fan but the Bulls are an outlier as it relates to recruiting and I would suggest that its recruiting is different than the other MAC leaders who utilize Ohio for the talent.

Jive…my statement should have been better worded to include a main component for Miami in taking over the MAC is recruiting Ohio. Miami has lost its battles for Ohio kids to other MAC programs. Guys like Nate Johnson to Akron or Ben Roderick to Ohio. It’s also lost top level “Miami type” guys to places like Davidson. Kids like Mo Njie and Jacob Connor weren’t even pursued in Dayton and the list of Cincinnati players runs deep.

3 Likes

…and Herb Sendek was ΤΗΕ best recruiter Miami ever had. What a tremendous talent evaluator. He was an outlier

2 Likes

I am cautiously optimistic, but not blindly optimistic.

1 Like

I totally get that. My opinion is it sounds like coach speak to me. My personal opinion is there’s no real magic formula to winning in the MAC vis a vis other mid-major leagues.

And Ohio is critical to Miami insofar as any good mid-major will (and should) lean more heavily on recruiting near its campus. Coaches can conceivably see recruits more often, develop/maintain better connections with HS coaches/evaluators, and pitch kids on remaining close to family/friends. And it doesn’t hurt that Ohio is a great basketball state.

I guess my confusion stems from the original poster claiming this staff doesn’t have Ohio/Midwest roots. If anything, that’s the common denominator of this staff. Can they win recruiting battles? We’ll see. But the offers that have gone out in their month on the job make me feel a whole lot more optimistic about that than the previous two staffs.

2 Likes

The way I see it…we have a guy who has been a coach…and likely figured a lot out in his first run…for which he was no slouch…and an elite recruiter.

Instead of an assistant trying to figure out how to be a coach on the job. Yes Cooper had some HC experience…but not at a high level and caught magic in a bottle with a great player as I recall…as Tennessee St or wherever he was did not have great records before or after…one really good year.

Anyway…Travis is from Indiana, went to Butler, coached at Ben Davis HS, IU, OSU and was head guy in Cincy market…call me at least looking forward to things to come.

Travis has had access or contact with people many of our candidates or previous coaches likely never really spoke to or would speak to…

4 Likes

No agenda. Just tired of the same ole stuff over the past 10 seasons.

New Hire
Excitement
Greatest Recruiting Class
Same Program Philosophies
Disappointing Season
No Longer Getting the Players like the “Program Builders” in 1st Class
Another Disappointing Season
Calling for HC Job
New HC
Repeat

Why is this a “should be noted” category. So Elon beat out X or recruiting?

1 Like

Im here… No axe to grind. Simply stating the truth. You don’t like it or agree must equal me having an “axe to grind”?

We keep repeating history blindly!