Sam Bachman

He had his first start there on Thursday. Pitched 3 innings allowing 4 runs but hit 99mph which he only did 4 times during his time in the MLB

Supposedly they only activated him from the injured list because pitchers have a 30 day limit on a rehab assignment. Now he can pitch in the minors for as long as it takes to get him ready

3 Likes

4 innings 4 hits 4 strikeouts 1 walk 1 run allowed in his last start in AA

4.1 innings 4 earned runs on sunday

Another Bachman update from his most recent start the other day:

5.2IP, 7H, 5R, 3ER, 1BB, 4K

Definitely becoming a starter, will probably need better results to get called up but definitely could see it happening after the angels trade away whatever is left of their pitching rotation at the deadline

6IP 1ER 8K in his last start really improving hopefully the Angels call him up soon

4 Likes

Excellent start vs Reds AA affiliate tonight:

6 IP, 4 H, 1 R, 0 BB, 8 K. Unfortunately took the loss as he was out-pitched by Reds prospect Chase Petty.

He’s had 3 fantastic starts in July and 1 clunker. Would guess he moves up to AAA or Angels by season’s end if he continues to pitch well.

1 Like

Definitely after the trade deadline after the Angels are gutted

2 Likes

Unfortunately, I do believe the Reds AA affiliate only has a one win lead over the Chicago White Sox, going 28-65 this year. Probably not a lot of weight put into the results of that game.

Very true, the Reds AA team is awful other than a few pitchers. Their offense is flat out offensive.

That’s why I noted Bachman has had other excellent outings in July.

Horrific start tonight, velocity was down and has allowed 6 in the first inning without recording an out

Final line was 8 earned runs in .2 innings

Let’s hope it’s just dead arm like lots of pitchers get in the spring, just delayed on account of his prior injury, rather than the other thing.

1 Like

It’s starting to look like it’s about that time a franchise decides to cut its losses and give him his outright release.

2 Likes

Probably too early for that especially since until this start he was pitching well

2 Likes

Doesn’t help that the Angels are generally a joke. Bachman aside, the org has long had issues developing and utilizing talent under Arte Moreno’s ownership.

2 Likes

He’s under three more years of team control in the minors so given their investment and his past performances it’s hard to see them releasing him at this point.
He is on their 40 man roster so they may have to make a decision sooner or later if they want to remove him from that spot and expose him to waivers.

Promoted to AAA Salt Lake

5 Likes

4 innings 1 run (0 earned) in 42 pitches in his first start in AAA

5 Likes

IF I was desperate…I would add Sam for a low-end start in an innings/K-dominated Fantasy Baseball League.

Moot point anyhow since Cueto will likely get the nod to start Tuesday’s game.

1 Like

I don’t think the angels will waste a year of service time for a few starts late in the season when they are out of it

1 Like

MLB has put rules in place to dissuade this type of thinking. If he doesn’t exhaust his rookie eligibility this year (which he wouldn’t even if called up today) and he starts on the roster at the beginning of next year, the Angels would get bonus draft picks if he were to finish in the top 3 of rookie of the year voting. If they instead do what was commonly done in the past and mess with service time, and he finishes in the top 3 anyways, they will lose that year of eligibility and I believe also have a draft pick penalty.

In other words, calling him up now would allow them to still have their six years of control, plus the extra this year. And if he performs well next year, they could get benefits. If they wait, they may still only get six years of control, and also a penalty if he performs well. It seems most teams are either starting the players on the roster right away, or waiting more towards mid-season when it’s unlikely the player will be in the top 3 of the ROY standings. If they don’t want to wait 11 months, now is as good of a time as any for a call up.

2 Likes

Scratched from his second straight start. I say they shut him down for the rest of the season and have him try make the roster out of spring training