Sam Bachman

Bachman is now the #2 prospect in the Angels system. Reports here in Orange County and from baseball media more generally say he’s on the fast track to make the big leagues this year. The Angels are really impressed by his fastball (which touches 102) and his slider, and Bachman has made huge strides in developing his changeup, which he rarely had to throw in college.

2 Likes

Sam started his first AA game tonight for the Rocket City Trash Pandas. He went 3 innings, giving up 1 hit, 1 walk, and getting 1 strikeout. It was a lucky break that we were going to the game tonight and got to see him play. I saw him during warm up and gave him a little ‘Love and Honor’ shout out. I’m sure he was thinking that I was some weirdo. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

6 Likes

Good job by the Angels fans who threw a fit on draft night when the team selected Sam over Kumar Rocker. How is that working out for all parties involved?

3 Likes

Bachman has still yet to give up an earned run through 11 innings.

1 Like

Interesting dynamic. Only 6 ks in 11 innings…BUT…Great WHIP and AVE (.82 and .139).

Also…3 ks in his last 4 IP after 3 ks in his previous 7 IP.

AAA may be coming after the All Star break.

Back spasms again. 83 pitches did it.

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/baseball/news/angels-sam-bachman-reassigned-to-minors-c

Read on CBS he is headed for double AA affiliate as a starter.

1 Like

Yep. That’s where the article says he’s going. AA is where most clubs stock their most promising soon to be called up talent…

Hope @Harlow gets to see him some more this summer!

3 Likes

That’s the plan. He appeared in a few of the games I went to, but then spent some time shut down if I remember.

1 Like

Sam was lights out against Reds affiliate tonight:
5 IP
1 H
0 R
0 BB
9 K

4 Likes

Glad to see no walks. That badly hurt him last year.

4 Likes

So the Trash Pandas no-hit the Lookouts, but they lost 7-5.

2 Likes

For the record, here’s the top of the 9th. The Trash Pandas went into this inning leading 3-0 on 8 innings of great pitching by Bachman and some relievers.

BB
BB
P4
BB
K
BB
E8
—pitching change—
HBP
HBP
HBP
BB
Wild Pitch
BB
K

1 Like

Here’s a piece by a Fangraphs writer who went back and watched video. Just an amazing meltdown.

Note that I was wrong about some details. This was the second game of a doubleheader. Bachman pitched in the first game. Also it was only seven innings.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/weve-inspected-rocket-city-inside-and-outside-no-gods-or-angels-were-found/

2 Likes

Called up to the bigs from AA and will join the Angels bullpen!!!

5 Likes

Gave up just 15 hits in 26 innings. Outstanding!

Warning: Stop reading.

Go back.

You won’t like this.

I warned you!

20 walks and 4 hit batters in 26 innings. Ouch.

3 Likes

OUCH

2 Likes