Roster Next Year-Changes

…or maybe a parent of said player from Indy area…I’ve generally stayed away from this site at this point, as I run in some the same circles as Steele (he’s a good guy and good coach)…but I’m a bit disappointed, maybe surprised is a better word, that we have not had a little more success this year.

Then I take a close look at our frontcourt depth (so limited), and our backcourt depth inexperienced to a degree.

What will be interesting is if somehow they come together on a late run here, if so…that’s some miracle coaching.

Billy Smith was one of my preseason favorites, but clearly has hit a wall, then Lewis did too (either injury or illness, whatever he was dealing with)…in the end these guys are getting a rude awakening to MAC bball and how talented some the rosters are up and down. So it’s time guys like Kamari and Billy step up and to a degree Morris…no longer frosh. Mabrey needs more consistency as well, if there’s even a slim chance. My son and I were watching Akron-Kent a week or so ago, maybe on replay…and it just looked like an entirely different level of talent that Miami has available.

In the end, I think we just need more players that are suited at this level (and don’t be surprised if kids jump ship)…Miami is not off by much, but maybe three players short of what you need to compete at a high level.

However, it is so strange, and at this point tiresome that circa 1998 Kent emerged from the depths and dregs of D1/MAC bball, and generally has not looked back (Ohio for the most part as well…followed by Akron)…while Miami has had zero success in nearly 15 years. Hard to comprehend…but Steele will get it done!

The Kotecki (sp?) looks like immediate playing time (and he’s needed)…while the 7-footer I’m sure will see minutes as well…Morris I think will make a big leap, and Mabrey’s consistency will get there…

1 Like

With the players we have coming in it’s hard to see Smith’s minutes increasing next year.

Blues - I noticed you excluded Mitchell Rylee. I assume that’s based on not earning minutes on a 2-10 MAC team?

I think top to bottom 100% Steele buy-in and mindset would be enough. Over measurements. As long as it is reasonably close.

So, like you said, need the right players. We may differ on description of talent. May agree.

Smith isn’t a Steele recruit (nor is Rylee). I think we all need to remember that.

I like Billy’s foundation, I think he sees and understands the game well, but ultimately it’s a matter of strength and athleticism for him to ever be more than a catch and shoot role player. I don’t know if he’ll be back next year or not (I wouldn’t mind it if he’s making strides in the strength & conditioning), but in this new world of NIL and transfer portal, I think we shouldn’t necessarily expect the same loyalty from program to player that we expected in the past.

That’s to say, it might be that Steele has seen enough of Smith to have made a judgment about his plans for next year and beyond, with the minutes reduction a read on that decision.

I have no idea, of course, whether this is actually the case, but it’s how I read the situation (and the lack of minutes going to Rylee all season).

With all that said, it’d be great if Lewis and Williams actually seized that other wing spot but that hasn’t happened in the least. At this point I’d be surprised if one or certainly both were a part of next year’s team.

2 Likes

My quibble with this is it’s also not exactly fair to the Coach to insinuate on things. I think it’s perfectly natural given your location, age (stated you have a friend whose son is playing CBB), and timing/substance of your first couple posts to wonder what your relationship/agenda might be.

5 Likes

Kotecki remains a bit of a mystery man to me. Steele certainly had good things to say. He plays for a team that seems to play a low scoring defense oriented game. His numbers certainly don’t resemble the other recruits. Will be interested to see how he develops!

Roster or future roster is close, challenges next year will be experience, what’s left or shows that they can contribute at this level…think there will be three frosh contributing next year.

Ok.

Just the conference meltdowns are the same at Xavier as Miami.

Just straight numbers. Maybe just coincidence and certainly not a tremendous sample size with a little Covid baked in.

And, this might be a tougher job. @CalOHawk makes really good points.

1 Like

He will be a stud.

I know…I was confused at first on the signing and the overall stats, but any reel I see of him looks promising and he has good size, and looks strong. PT is there if he wants it.

PS I also assume Rylee with Ipsaro is a bit of the scenario here…so I expect that Rylee will be back and that he’ll work hard to be a contributor.

2 Likes

At xavier he had top 20!teams that started hot and then lost at the end

How is that remotely comparable to the high level point of a 1-2 MAC record and 4-9 overall record.

1 Like

IMO EVERYTHING changes with new point guard(s). Steele has to have floor general and I think he got it.

1 Like

If there is so little substance to the “rumors” and “calls” why did you even bring it up?

4 Likes

Shouldn’t have

2 Likes

When you are being passed over for a walkon, I think the writing is on the wall that perhaps you should explore other options.

2 Likes

Its how you finish.

1 Like

I agree.

I think so too. I’m very excited to see Ipsaro in Red & White next season

1 Like

And Cooper too.

He looks legit and excellent passer. Even though he can light it up when it’s his turn.