RIP Mojo Nixon

A great Miamian. The best DJ on satteliiiiiiiiite radiooooo. His story of seeing Bruce Springsteen at Millett Hall made me wish I was ten years older.

Elvis has left the building.

1 Like

Noooooooo! He was a very interesting guy.

Reminder… Elvis needs boats.

1 Like

Oh man a true cult legend.

1 Like

“If you don’t got Mojo Nixon then your store could use some fixin’”

1 Like

I never knew he was a Miami guy!

1 Like

I started listening to Mojo Nixon in the late ‘80s while living in Dallas, TX. My friends and I loved his work…“Elvis is Everywhere,” “Debbie Gibson is pregnant with my Two-Headed Love Child,” “Don Henley Must Die,” "Stuffin’ Martha’s Muffin," “Destroy All Lawyers,” and so many more. I got the chance to meet Mojo while attending a double-bill at Bogart’s (Mojo & The Dead Kennedys) in Cincinnati in the early '90s. I was sitting in the back of the hall at a table with a friend of mine (another Miamian) and Mojo sauntered back to the bar after his set. He decided to sit down to sign some autographs and, lo and behold, he plunked himself down at our table! I had purchased a “Mojo Gas Station” souvenir shirt for a friend of mine, so I took the opportunity to get him to sign it and ask him some questions. He had mentioned during his set that he “got kicked out of that preppy college up the road” and I wanted to know when he was in Oxford. We had a nice chat, he signed my shirt, and wished me well. Nice guy! I just take solace in the fact that, according to Mojo, I have some Elvis in me!!

4 Likes

A friend of mine connected to the Minneapolis music scene got a copy of the blank version of Mojo’s rider from the file cabinet at First Avenue. No word on whether First Ave eventually agreed to give him piss jugs.

2 Likes

Mojo’s last set list. It looks like there may have been some social commentary mixed in.

1 Like