Recently

In case you haven’t noticed, and judging by the MHT topics you haven’t, the soccer team has managed to win a few here and there, and are threatening to climb out of the cellar.

Okay, they’ve climbed out of the cellar and into 8th with 4 straight wins by an aggregate score of 9-1.

1 Like

They played better the last 4, but here’s the rub: Team is now done for the year. I don’t know what to make of this group. They seem to have the ability to win but they are habitually mediocre. We should be top 50 in soccer. I might be a party of one in saying that but it feels like if softball and field hockey can do it, why not them?

1 Like

Soccer definitely should be consistently better than they’ve been the past 10+ years. There was a stretch, maybe a 4-5 year period about 20 years ago, where they were borderline top 25, and certainly top 50.

When I coached high school soccer at one of the best programs in Ohio (2002-2011), we had kids almost every year who wanted to go to Miami, but weren’t even recruited by Miami, so they played D-1 soccer elsewhere, often at schools in power 5 conferences.

1 Like

Well said.

Ps, I hope the last 4 wins are a sign of a better trend. I remember when we beat big time programs every year.

1 Like

Agreed. Cincinnati has one of the best youth soccer programs in the U.S. The females coming out of the HS programs in the area are particularly good. I have never understood our mediocrity.

2 Likes

When I was at MU, men’s soccer was top 25 in the country. Ladies had no varsity team yet, but the club team won the national club championship. When they disbanded the men’s team to start the ladies team, they were pretty successful almost immediately. Coach K had them beating big names every year. Purdue. Indiana. Louisville. OSU. And we tuned the locals like X, UC and the various cardinal directionals that fill the schedule. I think it’s another sport we could win games in the ncaa tourney with but feels like we are far from there right now.

2 Likes

When we were better it seemed like we had a few stars from Sweden or Canada. One of the reasons we have been so good in field hockey has been recruiting a few stars from Spain or Portugal or Brazil. I think our new women’s basketball coach is looking in that direction as well. He added 2 Canadians and one girl from Spain this summer and has a verbal commit from a girl from The Netherlands for next season.

2 Likes

Yes, I can’t understand this either.

Right now, the U.S. Womens National Team has 3 players from the Cincinnati metro area, if you count Rose Lavelle who is currently away from the National Team as she rehabs from injury. It is unheard of, to have 3 players on the National Team from 1 metro area.

1 Like

Yes, totally crazy the amount of Cincy high end women’s soccer. Here’s a pic of my daughter with one of the Cincinnati 3, whom I coached in high school:

2 Likes