Oxford Housing Shortage

I am considering a move to Oxford from DC where I plan to continue working for my current employer remotely while teaching part time at Miami. I have retained a real estate agent and he agrees that housing is in short supply but said he is always successful in finding homes for people moving into Oxford for Miami or otherwise. I asked him about the lack of new construction and he said that it’s too expensive for developers to get materials and equipment up to Oxford. He said developers would rather build in the Cinci suburbs where freeway access is easy.

There are precious few houses on the market right now but he told me it picks up in the spring and summer when people leave Oxford at the end of their careers or for new jobs.

I will let you know how it goes but I am skeptical. I may have to rent a house for awhile but refuse to rent a house that has a name plaque nailed to it!

1 Like

If anyone is considering moving to Oxford, I would wait a couple years. If the school levy continues to fail like it is a couple of miles down south here in Ross, housing prices will drop $30-$40,000 based on local area history when it comes to state take overs of school districts.

I don’t want to turn this thread away from Oxford real estate but Ross won’t keep failing levies to the point of a state takeover.

They absolutely will. It’s not even been close. As far as Oxford goes, they’ve always had trouble. Who knows how long this inflation will continue to affect peoples’ votes when it comes to schools

1 Like

It sounds like we can fix our football/basketball/hockey attendance by building affordable empty-nester housing for Miami graduates between the years of 1980-2000, especially if the federal government offers an MHT tax credit.

3 Likes

Lots of schools have large populations of older former students who gravitate back to the college town after raising their kids for the athletic and cultural experience and for the ambiance of a college town. Some colleges - Penn Stste comes to mind - have worked cooperatively with developers to help create those kinds of villages.

Sometimes I think it’s crazy to move back of Oxford. However, in the next five years I will be done with full time employment and want to be able semi retire by teaching classes at Miami to keep me intellectually stimulated. I am originally from Ohio (Cleveland area) both my parents have passed away and Oxford is a close to a “home” as I have in Ohio. It’s slightly crazy but I love interacting with students so will roll the dice.

6 Likes

The campus has changed so drastically. Miami can’t brag about all their green spaces anymore….

Taking Dr. Shriver’s History of Miami class in 1989, he said the 3 places that would never be built on were Cook Field, the center of Central Quad, and the green space by Harrison Hall and Ogden Hall across High Street from the presidential residence.

2 Likes

Absolutely understandable. I have been away for decades - lived in four states in three regions on both coasts. My folks retired from Dayton to Eaton and I visited a couple or three times a year. They are long gone now. But Oxford has always been a presumptive secondary home place for me - and I imagine it has been for many others. I parked next to a woman here in NC last week. She noticed my Miami license plate frame and introduced herself as a Miami alumnae from 1966. She moved here from Cleveland a few years ago - has not been back to Oxford in 40 years. I simply can’t understand that.

I imagine Bishop Circle is also eternally off limits for development.

Yeah, I don’t remember him saying that specifically, but it seems Bishop Woods would be sacred. Although, in the middle 80s it was mowed down to be lawn-like, and only since the late 80s has been left to grow wild.

1 Like

I don’t know what greenspaces have presumed to be lost. Outside of the new Western dorms and dining hall there’s been very little new construction that hasn’t taken the place of an existing structure.

Many young professionals that have come to work at Miami have also found that Hamilton now offers a lot as a place of residence vs trying to live in Oxford.

1 Like