Odd Miami Student Article

I’m the furthest thing from an expert on Miami sports but yeah, Wally and Ben have to be considered for any all-time MU athlete list to be respected.

Ryan Jones, who holds the modern-era goals record with 90, including 30 in a season and a ridiculous 21 career game-winners – a record I believe may never fall – and Jeff Zatkoff, the best goalie in school history with a .933 save percentage in a full season and RedHawks’ best .927 CAREER save percentage, would be my considerations from hockey.

2 Likes

So to be the greatest athlete at Miami, you have to come from a men’s revenue sport? Where we’ve had the last number of All-Americans? Your list is who I would think of, but I’d really question if they had the greatest college careers at Miami across every sport. Ben didn’t win the Heisman. I might put him behind Miele because at least he won the Hobey Baker. The list really isn’t bad when you start thinking about achievements and not popularity.

@Bonk - same thought. Wally was an All-American, but Ben wasn’t. Why does Ben instantly get a pass to a top 5 Miami athlete without being considered the best college athlete at their position at the time (I’d argue he was better than Manning, but he still didn’t get the accolade)

Even crazier than that, she finished second overall three straight years. And she finished third on the 1 meter board in one of the years she also finished second on the 3 meter board. Second and third in the NCAA in the same year in different events. She has so many diving records at Miami, a program with solid success over the years, that i feel like she has to be a strong contender for one of the best to ever do it at Miami. After Miami, she spent two seasons as a grad assistant at Ohio State, then became the head diving coach at University of South Dakota for one year, then was named the men’s and women’s diving coach at Cal. What a meteoric rise through the coaching ranks to land at a P12 diving program so quickly

3 Likes

Pei Lin had a monstrously good career at Miami!

4 Likes

Her performance at the NCAA meet pulled enough points to get women’s swimming a top 25 end of year national ranking. Think about that!

3 Likes

I agree the article is a little odd.

I understand the focus was looking at years at Miami alone.

However, if that was the case how can you exclude Bill Mulliken?

He won the gold medal in the 1960 Olympics in the 200m breaststroke when he was a Junior. That means he was the best in his sport in the entire world while he was a Miami student.

He won 9 individual MAC titles.

He did not even merit a mention as an honorable mention?

Odd.

3 Likes

I think the writer likely just wanted to generate a discussion, but wow, what a miss! I’m embarrassed I forgot about this one as well. Truly incredible.

1 Like

Huge miss! He caught Olympic medalist Schul but missed Mulliken. Both men dominated in their sport at Miami collegiately and then won a gold medal.

Clickbait!

I gave up on the Student a couple of years ago.

1 Like

Me too.

JZ is on the
Lord Stanley Cup,too.( Penguins)

1 Like