Northern Illinois women at Miami Wednesday at 7 on ESPN+

Miami is 8 -19 (5-11) NIU is 13-15 (6-10). A loss in this game would eliminate us, a win keeps us alive heading into Saturday’s home game vs Ohio. Our chances are discussed in a different thread. NIU came from behind in the 4th quarter and beat us back in January. Here are their main players:

5-6 SR Jayden Marable 11.6ppg
6-3 SR Brook Stonebraker11.4ppg and 9.1rpg She is from Versailles and her Mom was the all time leading scorer at BG and was her daughter’s HS coach.
6-0 RS FR Brooke Blumenfeld 6.4ppg
5-10 RS JR Sidney MaCrea 9.2ppg had a double double in her last game
5-11 SR Tara Stauffacher 6.7 points and 3.5 rebounds.

NIU is coached by Lisa Carlson, who has been there about a decade this season. Their best player ( led MAC in rpg) transferred to Seton Hall for her 5th season and another girl in her 5th year ( Chelby Koker, over 1700 career points) suffered a season ending injury back in the preseason, so this has not been the season they were hoping for. Win and we are tied with them heading into Saturday.

Women taking a page from last night’s men’s team’s offense. 3 points at the end of the first quarter.

Nice second quarter response. After falling behind 14-3 Miami outscored the Huskies 18-4 to take a 21-18 lead to the break.

After Miami pushed out to a 10 point lead, NIU goes on a 15-0 run to end the third quarter with a 40-35 lead.

Miami stayed cold in the 4th and NIU continued to hit 3s. Final was a 10 point Miami loss.

2 Likes

After taking a 10 point lead in the third quarter we were out scored 40-11 to finish the game.

1 Like

Maybe that’s it for the year? If so, I didn’t make my prediction (more D1 wins than last year) but I’m still proud of how they did and very optimistic for the future.

1 Like

I think Glen got everything he could out of the roster he cobbled together in about 10 minutes. I think we’ll see vast improvement the next two years. Last August the thought of even being close to making the tourney this season was a pipe dream.

3 Likes

And it’s crazy we still could have made it had we not lost in overtime. Wow.

This was a game of big runs and long scoring droughts. NIU shot from outside very poorly until halfway through the 3rd quarter, from then on they could not miss. Hennessey Lu-Brown did a nice job of shutting down NIU’s leading scorer, holding her to 4 points. Cori Lard was well defended by NIU and she only made one FG and had 6 turnovers, her least productive game over the last 10 games or so. Amber Tretter led us in scoring but went 1 for 9 on threes and did not put up her normal big rebounding numbers. Amber and Katey Richason provided almost all of our offensive production and rebounding.

It kind of seems that we stopped improving over the last 2 weeks and maybe the length of the season and all the minutes the starters have played has worn them down.

1 Like