NLI's going away

Putting this here…forgive me if this was posted anywhere. I didn’t see it.

NCAA approves elimination of national letter of intent program (msn.com)

Thoughts?

I have what may be a really stupid question: If the NCAA is going to go the route of setting up a contract rather than a letter of intent, can the schools start making them for more than one year similar to the pros?

In other words, if this goes into effect, and Miami is sort-of ‘signing’ players to contracts, can the school bring in a freshman and have a non-binding contract for, say, two or three years, or God forbid a four-year deal to avoid these stupid transfer rates?

Op-out conditions for both sides…injuries, poor academic performance for the team, coaching change or inadequate playing time for the players.

Maybe that’s been discussed plenty, I’ve just never seen that question asked anywhere.

2 Likes

Great question.

If schools are going to outright pay players, I’d hope so. Maybe they will greatly decrease silly transfers

Not 100% firm on this but just a starting position. If the top 40(or so) teams are trying to completely separate themselves from everyone else, wouldn’t maintaining 1 year at a time potentially cause the greatest amount of chaos at the other schools?

From a hockey perspective, I wrote about Alaska-Anchorage’s roster this week and practically every defenseman from last year transferred and almost all of them on this year’s roster came from the portal. It’s ridiculous and unsustainable.

2 Likes