Nike just dropped Tiger

I’ve heard the swoosh has become cash strapped and is looking to slash something like 2 billion in costs over the next couple years, but this seems pretty significant. Well, to me at least. Warts and all, Tiger is still one of the most marketable people on the planet even at almost 50 and in the twilight of his career. It would seem like another company could come in and take a gamble he finds the magic one more time and wins another major. It’s hard to fathom him not wearing Nike. I mean, Jordan has been retired over 20 years now and he still has a line of shoes/apparel they put out. The whole thing feels rather odd. Maybe he will start his own brand.

Is he really one of the most marketable people “on the planet.” He hasn’t been relevant in his own “sport” for over a decade. There’s no chance that there’s some magical chase to catch Nicklaus for most major wins. There’s the personal scandals. He’s largely irrelevant in the US.

Overseas, there’s god knows how many soccer players that are more marketable. Pretty much every F1 driver. Hell, there are rugby and cricket players that are more marketable than Tiger. And all of the above are actual athletes. He’s a so-called “athlete” whose time has passed, and Nike is simply cutting bait.

1 Like

You might be right. But he has huge reach. A huge following, and is a known name. That’s why I’m a little shocked. I’d have thought Nike would have kept him on in some capacity. Again, the way they have with Jordan. But maybe golf isn’t enough of a cash driver to their bottom line.

1 Like

I think you vastly, vastly underestimate the reach and appeal of Tiger Woods

2 Likes

Tiger’s Nike contract was up. He was probably looking for another 10-year or longer-term deal. Nike has seriously downsized their golf operation so they weren’t going to offer that to Tiger. I think this deal is similar to Federer leaving Nike late in his career for Uniqlo. Tiger will go to another globally recognized brand because he still moves the needle. Ratings still respond when he plays.

2 Likes

I will be pulling for him to win another major. I like watching him play.

1 Like

Truth.

2 Likes

When you say “truth” are you saying this as a golfer? I’m certainly not judging if you’re not one. Just curious. I ask because the LIV offered Tiger 700 million plus to join their tour. Like last year. Granted they have more money than Mr. Monopoly, but still, they must think he has international marketing relevance, no?

1 Like

More than 60% of golfers are over the age of 30. I would guess that a large percentage of those as consumers were highly impacted by Tiger. I’m sure his value has lessened over time but to those folks I would guess it’s still pretty high up there.

2 Likes

A decade? He won the Masters 4 years ago.

4 Likes

It would almost be more fun to think about what brand he could wear. Here’s a terrible idea: he trades the N in Nike for a B and begins promoting Bike brand. You know the one. All the coaches in any NFL card wore that shit in the 70’s. Anyhow, with Tiger as their lead, they make a run to own athletic/leisure. I sure hope they have updated their styles although Tiger in a sansabelt poly ensemble would be pretty great.

Pony!!!

1 Like

I think this is why the Nike split makes sense. Tiger can still command a lot of attention, but it’s disproportionately from an older audience that Nike isn’t as focused at targeting (especially as they scale back their golf business as a whole). Tiger is better off finding sponsors who want to target the people in his audience, Nike is better off sponsoring athletes that are relevant to their younger target demographic.

1 Like

Probably true. Well said.

Would bet they offered him a greatly reduced contract to match their sales in the golf world. Showed him ugly golf sales numbers (which he’s probably had access to) and their contract offer matched those ugly numbers. Hurt the ole’ guy’s feelings and off he went.

There will be, relatively speaking, plenty of companies and whole lotta’ money thrown at him by other golfing and lifestyle companies. No doubt he’s got some baggage (maybe a lot!) but there’s still value in his name and image. Just might not be as much as he thought it was if Nike is any indication.

Bet most of us would be more than happy with some of the offers he’ll get though he might not be.$$$$$!

Anybody been into a Dick’s golf and Nike golf sections lately? Bet there’s not much Nike to be found. Few shirts and Tiger’s name no where to be found. Not driving sales of their overpriced $75 golf shirts and $50 golf shorts. Overpriced and nothing special except the logo.

2 Likes

Interesting! I hadn’t considered some of the points you raise.

As a fan I’d like to see Tiger win another major.

1 Like

As bonkers as it sounds, I actually think he can. Consider that at the 2009 Open Championships, Tom Watson missed a pretty short putt that would have won him the championship. He was 59 years old. If Tiger stays healthy and keeps playing, you’d have to figure over 40 more chances, he might strike gold. Maybe?

1 Like