New Student Section

Hello everyone. Me and a couple students at Miami are trying to relaunch the student section at Miami in an effort to get more student engagement at games. We will be launching at the home opener for basketball on November 11. If you could give us a follow at thebrickwall_mu on twitter and Instagram it would help a lot. Thanks, looking forward to great things to come!

24 Likes

Yes! Super excited to be working on this! Obviously I agree with everyone here that we need a new gym, but regardless we all know the student support at basketball is absolutely abysmal which needs to change immediately this season! I am remaining optimistic we can break through to the general student body and I am super fired up to help change the student attitudes around Miami sports.

16 Likes

Welcome

1 Like

Love it gentlemen! Some of my best memories in life are from great student sections at Miami basketball games.

Any idea if there will be student seating behind the bleachers?

3 Likes

Rumor has it the student section is moving behind the visitors bench

Interesting. Best of luck gentlemen! Bring the madness back to Millett!

2 Likes

:sob:

Thank you. This made me so happy to read

2 Likes

From what we have been told, we are moving it behind the visitor’s bench but I am not sure if that has been confirmed yet.

4 Likes

Not exactly - same as last year sections 20 & 21 on the East side have been set aside; however there are plans to put bleachers just behind the North basket & very close to the visitors bench

4 Likes

Welcome! Great to see some current students join the message board!

5 Likes

During a field of 68 call, Steele said he was really confused the student section was on the opposite side of the court and mentioned he wanted it to be behind the basket/next to the away bench. So that tracks with what he was hoping for last season.

5 Likes

That’s a perfect location!

1 Like

The lack of a well defined, contiguous, student section adjacent to the court was my question/concern on that Field Of 68 call. Steele seemed dumbfounded that Miami’s student seating was where it was, and he promised that would be rectified by start of this season. Very glad to see that happening.

3 Likes

i miss sneaking in a flask of booze & dumping it into a fountain soda at the game. fast times at millett hall

2 Likes

I’ve often tried to imagine the meeting where someone raised their hand and said, “why don’t we get rid of the student section?!”. And everyone else nods and says ,“Great idea!”

5 Likes

Cool to see Coach that involved and able to make things happen. He wins a few games early on and students get into it it could really make for some fun during games.

2 Likes

Having a dedicated student section should be THE TOP priority for Millett Hall. The atmosphere starts there. Miami has not had a dedicated student section for well over a decade. Students are allowed to sit wherever. They must have a dedicated place to be…spread throughout the “arena” is (has been) a horrible idea.

1. Move the Court to the closed end (south end of Millett Hall).
  2. Create a student section in the closed end (south end of Millett Hall). Also place the pep band in that end
  3. Add more premium courtside seats [$$$]. Add “Jack Nicholson” seats on either side of the scorers table. this would necessitate moving the team benches farther away from the scorers table would be additional revenue generation. [$$$]
  4. The media table on the opposite side of the team benches should be moved thereby adding more premium courtside seats for revenue generation [$$$]. That media table should be placed behind the scorers table.
  5. Add a Club area for pre-game/halftime/post-game (Red & White Club Area]. More revenue generation [$$$]

8 Likes

Here’s my latest update for what @preaves_15 @danielren123 and myself have been cooking up. This coming Tuesday against NIU is going to be a whiteout, please wear white if you are coming. We’ve handed out about 300 flyers around campus and have been trying our best to increase the hype. If you have instagram you can check us out @ thebrickwall_mu

If any other students are lurking here, please come!

8 Likes

Young fella, I have an idea that might be fun for you and could raise men’s/ladies hoops and volleyball some funds and get fans in place. Here goes.
My insight: Even if you can get more fans to show up, there will still be a lot of empty seats. No one’s fault, just a product of several rebuilding programs and a lot of seats to fill.
My idea: For $100 you can buy a cardboard cutout of a fan. Ideally, it would have your face on it wearing a red MU sweatshirt. The fan sits in an empty seat all season long.

We could print these locally in Oxford and have student fans like you install. I’m a large man who is built like a battleship so I would likely buy two seats but you get my point.

You dig? You should because it’s an absolute money idea.

#punexcellencestrikesagain!

Edit: I think this can be made even simpler: we make all the faces coach Smith as he’s a funny guy and it simplifies production. If you join up, you become a member of The Smith’s, the world’s first virtual student section. Ps, when I was a young rascal I would often play The Smiths on a first date to show I was hip and sensitive. It led me absolutely nowhere. This idea is way smarter.

2 Likes

Nickskin, I don’t know how I missed your post in October but I did. I agree with every point you made!

If memory serves moving the court further into the closed end has been considered in the past and dismissed because it would result in more prime seats at midcourt beong lost due to the location of the walkways. While this is a real issue I have always felt that it is a trade off that should be made.

1 Like