NCAA Tournament Thread

Does the game start at 3:30 or 30 minutes after the other game? Tennessee already up 8-0 bottom 3. This one’s just about done.

11-0 now bottom of 3

We should beat Dayton. I think we have a shot facing UVA a second time. We’re not beating UT once, let alone twice.

1 Like

That was a weird top of the first. Dayton hit the piss out of the ball but ended up with nothing to show for it.

1 Like

UMass Deja Vu. Lightning delay

1 Like

Is there any good science behind these lightning delays? Did I miss some lightning-related mass-casualty event on a ball diamond recently?

1 Like

It’s the Caddy Shack affect

1 Like

I think the science says it’s not a good idea to hold a lightning rod during a storm. And no, there have not been any mass casualty events lately because we have lightning delays.

Now bringing out the tarp. Doesn’t look good.

Are people magically safer standing around outside of the ballpark?

Well, they aren’t sitting on metal bleachers. Plus, it’s a liability issue. When the lawyers get involved, getting hit standing outside the stadium is a lot different than getting hit inside the stadium while the game is going on.

2 Likes

Just posted for Knoxville…forecast is for rain and storms for the next several hours. Looks like it might be done by about 9:30 or so.

IIRC, a fan got struck by lightning at the ‘89 Purdue game…or maybe lighting hit the stadium near a fan

1 Like

Omaha sends Washington to the losers bracket 3-2. A few mid-majors are making some noise.

I’m going to guess that holding an aluminum bat up above your head is not a good idea with storms nearby.

My wife and I went under the bleachers during a mandatory get out of here evac at Yeager only to find that we were leaning against a door label electrical room.

1 Like

Durham, Knoxville and Tuscaloosa all kn weather delay right now.

If they don’t seek approriate shelter once they have exited the facility that’s their problem.

Carbon fiber composite, old timer.

1 Like

Do you seek shelter when lightning is eight miles from your location?

My point is, what is the science behind eight miles and thirty minutes? Is it safer than seven miles and fifteen minutes? Is nine miles safe enough to just continue play?

Weird thing to be bothered by.

2 Likes