NCAA D1 hockey tournament

Another Natty for a Berkshire Bear - Aidan Thompson - Union, Providence and Denver have given former Bears championships going back 10 years.

BC, BU, UMass, and Cornell combined against DU in the tournament: 3 goals
Miami against Denver in one series: 4 goals

Who is really better?? :thinking:

6 Likes

Congrats to Denver. Any team that eliminates the programs DU eliminated in back-to-back games deserves a round of applause.

6 Likes

Congratz to Denver indeed. What a team.

Zeev Buium may go in the top five overall in this year’s draft. Kid is unbelievable. I don’t think he ends up at Makar/Quinn Hughes level, but I could see him regularly racking up 50-plus points in the NHL.

2 Likes

I wonder what kind of conditioning advantage that Denver gets from living and training at high elevation when, other than Colorado College, the rest of college hockey takes place below a thousand feet.

I know the response is “then why can’t Colorado College do it,” and I get that. Certainly, there are other variables at play when comparing DU and CC though, and when one elite program trains and lives at high altitude and the other elite programs don’t, I don’t think it can be entirely discounted.

1 Like

One man’s opine, but if this advantage was real, the Broncos wouldn’t stink and the Nuggets would have a case full of trophies.

1 Like

The advantage is real and well documented. There’s a reason that the USOC training facility is there. That doesn’t mean that it’s some magic bullet that can overcome all the other factors. It, however, can very well be a determinant between two otherwise equal teams.

The altitude may be an advantage for the Home games they play vs. “ flatland” teams,too.

The advantage of home court or field is only real if your fans are dangerous. Altitude is a distant second fiddle to Alcohol. Rampant, drunken and dangerous miscreant behavior is key to championship success.

Then how do you explain the Browns?

Are Browns fans really that dangerous?
Despondent perhaps. But dangerous?

2 Likes

It’s not a home ice advantage. It’s the increased cardio capacity one gets from training at a high altitude and then competing at lower altitudes. Teams that go into Denver have to struggle with decreased cardio endurance while the Denver team on the road gets a significant boost. It’s real, proven in multiple scientific studies and put into practice by the US Olympic Committee.

Altitude Training: Does It Work and How to Do.

High altitude training can potentially improve your endurance during intense exercise. It may increase your aerobic capacity, lactic acid tolerance, and oxygen flow to your muscles.

Is that at all related to lactic acidosis, Colonel Jessup?

1 Like

You’re working yourself up into a rich lather over this. I’m just messing with you. Stand down. Stand down.

Ps, why haven’t those teams won more if it’s such an advantage? Honestly. Some of those squads had quality rosters across those three sports.

1 Like

Update: he has been assigned to 6U Fanta. Death to our archrivals 6U Sprite, 6U Dr. Pepper, and 6U Coca-Cola.

2 Likes

These team divisions sound like paramilitary/swat teams. Like didn’t 6U Fanta take out Hussein?

1 Like

The U10s are all supercar models. I feel like the little kids got hosed.

I’m a sucker for a regional b to b brand that has a kindly owner who takes a shine to youth sports. Midwest Plumbing Supply. Federated Grain. Or, the company that cleans out grease traps such as Darling Industries. All of these are great team names.

1 Like

Gotta ask the obvious question… how do you feel about “Chico’s Bail Bonds”?

2 Likes

It makes too much sense.

1 Like