National Anthem Singing

Nothing will ever top Carl Lewis in 1993. But this is Top 20. And to think, she’s a Grammy nominated artist

They really just nominate anyone for Grammy’s now

2 Likes

Brutal.

Ouch! My ears hurt.

When I was involved with the Mariners, we heard a different rendition of the Anthem every day. Some of the better ones I remember were Emmy Lou Harris, Kenny G and Anne Wilson from Heart.

Most players and coaches thought the Anthem should be sung in just about two minutes. Whitney Houston’s legendary SuperBowl rendition came in a 1:56. Anything longer than about 2:10 was the singer milking it - and wasn’t appreciated.

The team protocol was - if you weren’t in the clubhouse or bullpen - you should be on the top step of the dugout with your hat off and held over your heart.

3 Likes

You’re all forgetting about this awesome rendition.

1 Like

The game was against the Reds, and I remember listening to it live on the radio…THAT’S how bad it was.

It’s one thing for an athlete or comedian to sing the anthem badly, it’s another for a supposed country artist to make Fergie look decent. Was a train wreck that I was lucky to watch live.

When I was in high school my brother and I went to a minor league baseball game where the anthem singer forgot the lyrics to O Canada, someone from the field had to run up to the press box for lyrics in the middle and everyone awkwardly stood there. I wish I had a recording.

2 Likes

One of the greatest anthem stories ever!

1 Like

I made it as far as “What’s so proud…” then ran away.

Back to lurking.

Favorite bad anthem for those who’ve never seen it:

Yikes! The Chattanooga one might be the worst ever!

She just posted that she was very drunk and now going to rehab. Hope she gets the help she needs

2 Likes

Somewhat related…But as a long-time Flyers fan…Kate’s renditions still give me the chills.

(And we rarely lost when she sang!)

1 Like

I’m not sure there needs to be an anthem for the HR derby anyway, although I probably haven’t watched one in 15 years.

Texas showing they want to speed up their succession from the Union by offending everyone

3 Likes