Morris

https://x.com/verbalcommits/status/1769790944373596214?s=46&t=ZH1fFGwu8Q0191V3SgsUtQ

2 Likes

Ouch.

2 Likes

Double ouch. We need big physical players.

3 Likes

This one is a head scratcher. Seemed to be improving and happy.

2 Likes

Thought he gave us a physical presence, toughness, and athleticism that we lacked.

Played 26 mins against Ohio State. Put up 11 pts, 10 rebounds, and 4 assists.

And then didn’t play over 20 mins for the rest of the season.

We were a terrible rebounding team, and gave our best rebounder 10-12 minutes of time.

Tough to see him go.

1 Like

Maybe that’s why he left. Sadly.

2 Likes

Tyler Dierkers played 13.5 min/game his sophomore year. In this day and age maybe (probably?) he would have left. But he stayed and ended up having a very impactful Jr and Sr years.

I don’t know what’s driving Jaquel to want to transfer, but I think his decision now, at least for on-court purposes, seems to be a bit short-sighted. This would’ve been the key offseason for him and his development. He was fairly raw coming out HS, has worked hard for two seasons, and is positioned to potentially be an impact big over his final two seasons in the MAC. He knows the staff, knows the system, knows the league. He feels like the exact type of player to potentially blossom, with improvement not necessarily being linear. Just like Dierkers did 15 years ago. But what do I know?

College basketball is broken. This transfer is a symptom of the issue. I hope we can recruit somebody to step in and fill the hole.

5 Likes

This one really disappoints me. Not just because we needed his skills, but it was great that this staff was able to recruit a kid from the Bronx. I have no idea what his reasons were but it’s a big loss on a couple levels.

2 Likes

Sorry to see both Morris and Mabrey in the portal. However, neither surprises me a lot. I am sure that both believed that they were underutilized this year. They are also both east coast kids–New York and New Jersey. They both may be looking to land somewhere closer to home with a chance at more playing time.

I really would have liked to see what type of player Morris could be next year as his offensive game matured. However, it opens up a great opportunity for Kotecki.

1 Like

Yes, I agree. I wish he was staying. Basketball is broken. I have no clue if he’s leaving for more money, more playing time, neither, both. I just want guys I can root for year after year. I know that’s not really a thing anymore, sadly.

5 Likes

Disappointing I thought he would have had signifcant role next two years. He was are most athletic post defender and rebounder. Interesting next few weeks as staff will bring in numerous transfers to fill important spots on roster

I have no idea when this became apparent to the coaching staff but if we stopped playing Morris for Mirambeaux then I would have rather not played Mirambeaux and kept playing Morris

4 Likes

Morris was a fantastic player on defense but Anderson had more offensively. Not even close in my book.

1 Like

Certainly true - but Mirambeaux didnt deserve the time he got after being ineligible and then being overweight

1 Like

I think the coaches want to play whoever they think can help us win or whoever gives us the best chance. Morris was great on D but not a big offensive threat. Maybe that mattered more in the end?

NOOO JAQUEL WAS MY FAVORITE

Mirambeaux was a great player for us last season, but he clearly took a big step back this season and Morris took a step forward. Morris really should have been getting more playing time.

In the tournament game, Freeman put up 30 points and 12 rebounds on 81% shooting. Despite that, we only gave 3 minutes to our defense and rebounding minded big man so that we could give 27 minutes to a low efficiency offensive black hole with no vertical who was getting torched defensively and didn’t have the conditioning to play 27 minutes. If his mind wasn’t already made up, I can’t imagine that helped.

2 Likes

He knows travis suck

And if his mind was made up, I have no problem with him not getting much time.

losing Morris is a tough one. He made some impact and clearly should have had a big role next year…Mabrey is a luxury to have as he’s just a 3pt shooter with little impact elsewhere. He and Dean are duplicates but Dean showed a little more at end of season–not much for either, but Dean may have a little higher ceiling? Mabrey is easy to replace, wish him best of luck wherever he lands though.

3 Likes