Monitoring other games - Week 9

Week 9 starts tonight. One to watch is Liberty at WKU on ESPN2 at 7:30.

NMSU beat LA Tech 27-24 to become bowl eligible at 6-3. Mekhi Miller played for the Aggies and Cecil Singleton for the Bulldogs. Tyre Shelton is injured and didn’t play. The Aggies are now a potential bowl opponent.

Liberty leading the Toppers by 20 with 4 minutes left at WKU.

1 Like

NMSU is bowl eligible before Halloween… despite losing to UMass. Go figure.

1 Like

I think nmsu has a 13 game schedule so they may not be bowl eligible

1 Like

Good catch! They played Hawaii. They need one more win. Best shots for one are the next two weeks against La Tech and MTSU.

Poor Sam Houston. The Bearkats have to be the best - and unluckiest - 0-8 team in the country. The had a 14 point lead at home early last night against UTEP but lost it 39-36 on a Miners FG with 3 seconds left.

Think they were up 27-13 in the 4th quarter.

1 Like

Sun Belt Suprises: Georgia Southern is up 13 points over Georgia State going to the fourth quarter. That’s a bit of a surprise.

A bigger surprise is that the full Georgia State Panther Marching Band is in the stands in Statesboro. That’s a 3 1/2 hour drive from Atlanta and it’s a Thursday night. The Sun Belt is apparently making an attempt to present themselves as big time.

In contrast, Toledo’s band was not in Oxford for a huge nationally televised game last Saturday and Miami’s band wont be in Athens Saturday for the nationally televised Battle of the Bricks.

The stands at Allen Paulson Stadium for a mid-week game are nearly full. Great atmosphere for this rivalry game in Statesboro.

1 Like

Week night games in October in the South are not like week night games in the North in November. Really no comparison.

My comparison was primarily to illustrate an apparent lack of money allocated to support functions like bands and cheerleaders that prevents them from even traveling to nationally televised rivalry games on Saturdays in the MAC…

2 Likes

Tonight’s televised game is taking place at UNC Charlotte - where this years Bahamas Bowl will be played.

Coach Bif Poggi with his wife-beater white cutoff T-shirt and his band of last-chancers sure seem like the Bad News Bears of college football.

It’s halftime and they trail 21-6. It’s been chippy the entire second quarter. A 49ers defensive lineman (#0) who has been kicked off both the Alabama and Houston rosters and is now playing for his 5th school, just drew a 15 yard unsportsmanlike conduct penalty walking off the field to the locker room at halftime.

Poggi says he likes those kinds of kids because they remind him of himself…told the broadcast crew he was kicked out of eight schools himself.

Andre Ware is not holding back on his criticism of their bone-headedness. Second half might be a hoot!

#0 got another 15 yard roughing the QB call with a targeting review in the second half. The Charlotte D would have been off the field on a 3rd down stop. FAU scored a TD three plays later. Poggi left the kid in the game.

Gus Ragland cameo in the Penn St - Indiana game.

4 Likes

Here are the consequences for the Charlotte meltdown I mentioned in my posts about last week’s midweek game. I wonder if he got pressure from the AD or the Chancellor.