MLB Draft

MLB Draft just started. Today is rounds 1 and 2. Tomorrow Rounds 3-10 and Tuesday rounds 11-20. Will be interesting to see if any RedHawks get drafted according to mlb.com’s draft tracker there are 5 RedHawks entered into the draft; Ahmad Harajili, David Novak, Peyton Olejnik, Ryland Zaborowski, and Zach MacDonald.

2 Likes

Ivan Luciano, a catcher out to Puerto Rico who was committed to Miami, was drafted in the second round by the diamondbacks 64th overall. I’m shocked I haven’t heard about this commitment before, bummer as it seems that he will not be coming to Oxford next season but who knows. Still crazy that Miami could get someone of that caliber, ranked 220 on mlb’s draft rankings, a testament to Smiley’s pull.

7 Likes

EDIT: moved to correct thread

https://x.com/jackschmelznger/status/1812685897755656362

https://x.com/MiamiOHBaseball/status/1812912101356368347

2 Likes

I’d doubt a Miami commit has ever been drafted. If there was one it was probably decades ago

1 Like

MLB draft used to go way more rounds, so I’m sure there have been lots throughout history.

I do recall pitcher Keith Weiser being drafted (round 18 by the Braves in 2003), then after 3 seasons with Miami he was drafted in round 3 by the Rockies in 2006.

As you mentioned, that was 2 decades ago, and I’m not aware of more recent examples.

1 Like

Yeah I forgot about the shrinking of the draft. There definitely have been a few, for example Buddy Schultz (holder of the NCAA single game strikeout record) was drafted out of high school in 1968 by the Phillies in the 4th round then drafted out of Miami in the 6th by the Cubs

2 Likes

Peyton Olejnik selected in the 6th round by the Angels!

2 Likes

172nd overall pick valued at $366,100. The Angels must love those Miami pitchers

2 Likes

Does that mean he’s done here? If so, bummer, he was starting to scratch the surface but then maybe that’s why he got drafted.

8th pitcher drafted or signed undrafted out of Miami in the past 4 seasons

2021: Sam Bachman (9th Overall), Jacob Webb (406th Overall), Grant Hartwig (Undrafted Free Agent)
2022: Jonathan Brand (249th Overall)
2023: Connor Oliver (499th Overall), Kenten Egbert (Undrafted Free Agent), Hudson Leach (Undrafted Free Agent)
2024: Peyton Olejnik (172nd Overall)

2 Likes

Pretty much, unless they can’t agree on a signing bonus or the Angels find some injury information, but usually players that don’t sign after being drafted are high schoolers, pretty rare among college picks

1 Like

Zach MacDonald drafted by the Tigers in the 15th round 446th overall!

1 Like

This has to be a program record for one year

1 Like

That is the end of the 2024 MLB draft. 2 RedHawks drafted, can’t see any of the other declared players signing undrafted as they all have eligibility left

Lots of years in the 70s and 80s had 3 guys drafted, but again there were more rounds back then.

2 Likes

I’m saying we got 3 guys this year. And although the one never made it to Oxford, it’s his loss that he will never enjoy Phan Shin.

3 Likes

So I do not remember if he was drafted or was a free agent signing, but Buddy Bell signed with Miami out of high school ( Moeller?) maybe 1970 or so. For his first two years he played in the minors, then attended Miami after the season ended until Spring Training. I had a couple of classes with him and remember being paired with him in wrestling class.

2 Likes

Gus’ kid.

Zach MacDonald signs with the Tigers for $150,000 and Peyton Olejnik with the angels for $197,500

2 Likes