Miami women host Toledo Wednesday at 7:00 on ESPN+

Toledo of course is the defending MAC champion who won an NCAA game last year and have virtually their whole roster returning. They already beat Michigan at home by 23 points before 7,200 fans. Star player Quinesha Lockett, MAC POY last season and has around 2,000 career points, has missed the last two games with an injury, they originally said she would miss a few games, and I don’t know if she will be back tonight. Incidentally, I read somewhere that two of the Rockets stars were given automobiles. I do not know if that means they were given the title to the car or maybe just the use of the car for a year, but it does indicate that they are way beyond anything Miami is doing with NIL.

Toledo has scheduled up and is 7-3 and has been getting some votes in the AP poll. Their normal starting lineup is 5-10 5th year Quinesha Lockett 15.3 ppg/6 rpg/3apg, 5-7 point guard Sophia Wired 14.3 ppg, 4.6 rpg, 5apg, both Lockett amend Wired have been first team all MAC for a couple of years. 5-9 SR Khera Goss9.1ppg, 5-10 Sammi Mikonowicz 6.2 ppg/5.4 rpg. They have 3 veterans who rotate at center who are all very strong and very good. 6-5 SR Hannah Noveroski. 5.6 ppg ( transferred from Indiana 3 years ago), 6-2 jr Jessica Cook 5.5ppg, and 6-0 Nan Garcia 5.5ppg ( is a 3 point shooter). If Lockett does not play, 5-7 Emmi Rinat has started the last two games. She is an Israeli. Rockets are coached by Tricia Cullop, who has a Hall of Fame type career going at Toledo.

This will be just the 4th home game for Miami and we have played better at home than on the road. It would be helpful for us if Lockett is out for this game, but this will be a big challenge anyway you look at it.

1 Like

Toyota RAV 4’s to be specific. They were emotional when given the keys. A cool little video on the local news.

If you’re not watching you ought to turn it on. RedHawks playing their best game of the season…playing great defense.

31-29 UT at the half.

A really competitive game. Toledo hit a 3 to go up 31 to 29 at half. Early in the game the Scott twins were keeping us in the game, but soon they both had 2 fouls. Huhn hit a couple of outside shots but then Kathy Richason started dominating inside and Amber Tretter as well. Kathy also has 2 fouls, but she had 10 points and 7 rebounds while Tretter had 7 points, 3 rebounds, and 2 steals. 5th year starters Sophia Wired and Sammy McConowitz are leading the Rockets. Their 6-5 girl has 6.

2 Likes

We had the lead at 6 at about the 3:00 mark but Toledo went on a 14-7 run and lead by 13 with under 2 to play.

1 Like

Rockets finish on a 12-0 run and win it 70-52. The game was basically a 7 point difference for all but the last three minutes. They’re slowly maturing. The future is bright for the Red and White.

1 Like

Yeah, we were down 58-52 with 3:41 to go and Toledo outscored us 12-0 down the stretch. When we played at Michigan, we were down 6 with 8 minutes to go and lost by 25. Those were probably our two best games until the end.

Sophia Wired was magnificent, playing without her fellow star Quinesha Lockett, the MAC POY last season. Wired was 6 of 7 on threes and had 26 points, 6 rebounds, 8 assists, and 2 sreals. 6-5 Hannah Noveroske, who transferred from Indiana 3 years ago had 15 points, 9 rebounds, and 3 blocks. In fact Toledo had 9 blocks on the night.

Jayden Scott had 13 points and 4 assists. Kate’s Richason had 12 points and 7 rebounds.

1 Like

I watched this game last night and was very impressed with the team. It was a close game for most of the game. Toledo is an excellent team and we battled them for most of the game. Good effort by the Lady Hawks! I like our coach, too.

1 Like

Team will only get better. If this staff had some of the talent we had last year, I honestly think they would win the MAC. Gotta think the ascent won’t take long if they can compete like this.

A lot depends on recruiting.

2 Likes

Dick, we agree to agree. I like the year one gets and can only imagine with time to actually recruit and better connections to talent (which this staff has) we will be right where we want to be.