Miami women at Michigan State at 2:00 on Big Ten Plus ( pay site)

This is a major step up in competition. Miami is 1-3 after our one point OT win over Xavier. Michigan State is 6-1 with an average of +33 points per game against their opponents. They are averaging 94 ppg and are first in the nation with 46% on threes and second in the nation in fg% at 53%. Also third in the nation with 23 assists per game. Dee Dee Hageman leads them with 15 ppg and 4 others are also scoring in double digits.

Surprisingly, Miami leads the all time series 4 games to 2 with our last win coming in 2002. Miami is led in scoring and rebounding by GS transfer from UC Jadyn Scott at 14.5ppg and 6.3 rpg. She is also second on the team with 1.8apg. 6 foot Freshman Lakresha Edwards scored 14 and added 7 rebounds in her first start in our OT win over Xavier.

I wrote this kind of in a hurry last night when I got home from from Detroit and I forgot to mention that Michigan State’s new coach is Robin Fralick from BowlingGreen, so you know they are going to be very uptempo and they will press and take charges and play with intensity.

We started 4 freshmen and GS Jaydyn Scott. Against all odds, we got off to a good start as Huhn and Edwards hit early 3’s and we were up 6-0. WE managed to reach the 5 and under TO still up 7-6, but the turnovers against their pressure are starting to mount.

18-9 MSU at the end of 1 quarter. Our only 2 field goals were the two early threes. We have 9 turnovers already against their relentless pressure. For a team second in the nation in FG%, Spartans are shooting 28% in the first Quarter.

1 Like

Getting ugly now. Halfway through the second Quarter it is 32-11 MSU. A 14-0 run to start the second quarter, Jaydyn Scott finally hit a jumper to stop the run. We are up to 18 turnovers.

1 Like

35-16 at the half. 6 girls have scored, all have either 2 or 3 points. Amber Tretter has 7 rebounds and we are outrebounding them 25-18. We are only shooting 19%, State only 32%. Turnover are 19 to 7. We are having real trouble getting the ball upcourt.

47-28 halfway through the third period. I think MSU puled off the press as we are only at 20 turnovers, so only one in the last 5 minutes. Edwards has 9 points on 3 treys. We are outrebounding them 32-22.

64 to 38 at the end of 3. so 29-22 in the third quarter with them not pressing. We are 7 for 12 on threes, they are 7 for 24 ( led the nation in 3 point fg % coming in). Wea re at 22 turnovers, but are still outrebounding them.

74-42 halfway through the 4th quarter. Both teams are playing more subs now.

1 Like

89-44 Final. Terrible 4th quarter as we got beat 25-6. On the game we outrebounded them 39-35 but had 29 turnovers. Jurjo had 9 points ( tied with Edwards for first), 7 rebounds ( tied for second with Richason) and 4 assists (first). Tretter led the team with 8 rebounds.

On to Eastern Kentucky Wednesday afternoon. They are having a good year, but this is a team we can match up against much better.

For some reason, Jr point guard Cori Lard did not play today.