Miami women at Bowling Green Saturday at 2:00

ESPN+. Miami is 8-18 (5-10). BG is 14-12 (8-7). By getting swept by CMU Miami has made it very difficult for ourselves to get to Cleveland. We are only 1 game behind both Ohio and NIU with 3 games to go. However, we are going to lose a tiebreaker to either of those teams, even if we beat them both next week because even if we beat them, that would just make us 1-1 against both and the next tiebreaker is who has the best win. NIU beat Ball State and Ohio beat Kent, who are going to be the #2 and #3 seeds. So we actually need to make up 2 games vs either of these teams to get to Cleveland. Likely we need to go 3-0 while one of them goes 1-2. It is possible for us to go 2-1 and one of them goes 0-3, but that seems unlikely.

We beat BG in Oxford 56-47, a very strong defensive effort. Miami is #1 in the MAC in FG% defense and #1 in steals per game. Individually Cori Lard had season highs of 15 points and 5 steals at Central. She is currently 2nd in the MAC in steals per game. Katey Richason has scored 35 points in our last two games, coming off the bench and returning from 3 weeks on the DL. Amber Tretter picked up another double double Tuesday, her 9th of the year.

BG has a new coach ( Fred Chmiel, assistant at #1 South Carolina for 8 years) this year after their coach left for Michigan State and 3 of their stars transferred to Michigan, Michigan State, and Ball State. Also, 10 games into this season and averaging 15ppg, Lexi Fleming suffered a season ending injury. Although she is a SR, she still has 2 years of eligibility after this season, if she wants to stay.

4 players of note:

5th year 5-10 Morgan Sharps15.0ppg has made 67 of 177 threes, she played 2 years at Xavier, this is her 3rd at BG.

5-7 JR Amy Valasco14.6ppg/ 4.8apg 42 for 101 on threes I think she is their best player, a Centerville grad.

6-0 SR Erica Porter in their loss to Buffalo Tuesday, she was 10 for 10 from the floor and 22 points and 13 rebounds. She played 2 years at Illinois and one at Baylor.

5-8 FR Paige Kohler 10.9ppg/4.2rpg,3.7apg She is one of the best Freshmen in the MAC.

BG is currently in the #5 seed spot. They have had a few injuries combined with 3 starters transferring out, so this has not been the same kind of season they have had the previous 3 seasons. They lack quality depth.

1 Like

I plan on attending.

1 Like

Me too. I plan on getting to Frickers around12:15 or so. Depending on your plans, stop in and join me.

I thought of one other possible way we could get in. Western Michigan is currently 2 games ahead of us and in 6th place, but we beat them twice so if we could make up 2 games on them then we would have the tiebreaker. To do that, either we need to go 3-0 while they go 1-2 a 0r 0-3. Or we could go 2-1 while they go 0-3.

1 Like

Won’t make Frickers, but see you at the game

Well, it was great to hang with Dick and J Mac, but the game was atrocious. Dick is correct, there are only a couple of true D 1 players on this team. I told Dick that I had mixed feelings, we really do look better than a couple of years ago, but still look bad. I hope recruiting and the portal are kind to us.

2 Likes

I have been saying all year this team only has 3 DI players. I have said that directly to the staff as well.

This was Senior day at BG, and they honored 4 girls before the game started. They were fired up for this game. We got off to a great start as they started their Seniors, but when they brought in 4th year player Erica Porter ( transfer post player from Baylor) we stopped dominating the inside and she started dominating the paint. The other big thing was that Morgan Sharps, the best 3 point shooter in the MAC, had a poor shooting day when we beat them in Oxford, she was on fire in her final home game and would up with 29 points. Also, Amber Tretter got in foul trouble and eventually fouled out with 13 points and 5 rebounds. Cori Lard has a career high 17 points and put up good numbers in all categories.

2 Likes