Miami Women at Austin Peay Saturday at 3:00

F&M BankArena, Clarksville, TN. ESPN+. Austin Peay is 6-7 ( with a surprising win over Kentucky on a neutral court.) Miami is getting better and is now 2-7, but we have won the only two games we played against teams who have losing records, and Austin Peay is just below .500.

The first time I ever saw Austin Peay play was a men’s NCAA game at UD Arena, maybe the early 70’s. They had a great scorer by the name of Fly Williams. Their favorite cheer was memorable, “The Fly is open, Let’s Go Peay ( pronounced pee ). Austin Peay, by the way, was a former Governor of Tennessee and the team nickname is governors or just “govs”.

They have very balanced scoring with 10 different girls averaging between 11.4 ppg and 4.4ppg… 3 girls in double digits : 5-7 Jr G Abby Cater, 6-1 GS C Shamarre Hale, and 5-7 Sophomore G AnalaNelson.

I am hoping that 6-2 Jr C Katey Richason will be back this week or next week for our MAC opener. If we play as we have the last two games, this would be a winnable game

1 Like

Take the last train to Clarksville,
and I’ll meet you at the station.

1 Like

Monkees

So you’re going to the game?

Both ESPN and Miami have this game starting at 3:00.

1 Like

Corrected above.

I did not get around to watching this game until last, but it was easy to avoid knowing the results. I viewed this performance as a step backwards. We simply could not generate any offense. We had 15 turnovers which is better than usual, but had a really difficult time getting open shots and did not hit them when we got them. We were down 9-0 after 5 minutes ( they hit 3 threes) but we did come back and get a lead and were down only one at halftime. Tretter hit our first 3 to tie it at 23 but then a long scoreless streak put us down by double digits. The game got away from us when Tretter picked up her 4th foul and went to the bench. Eventually we got down17. When Tretter returned, she immediately picked up her 5th foul and ended up getting only 24 minutes.We only had one 3 the entire game until Edwards hit 3 of them and scored 11 points in the last 4 minutes, cutting the lead back to 9.

Nutria,who has been our best point guard only played 7 minutes ( ill or just poor performance?). We shot only 30% from the floor and 20% from 3. Amber Tretter had 10 points and 7 rebounds. Lakresha Edwards ended up with 13 points, 11 in the final 4 minutes. Katey Richason returned from the injury list and added 6 points and 6 rebounds.

Wednesday night we open MAC play with a home game against the Toledo Rockets, defending MAC champs with all 5 starters returning and ranked just outside the top 25. I did read that their star and last year’s MAC POY was injured last week, don’t know if she will be back or not.

Dick curious on this as I have watched most of their games. Besides the two Scott girls, Katey Richason and Tretter, do you think any of the girls on this team are actually DI talent?

Edwards. Jurjo.