Miami men at Wright State Tuesday

7:00 at the Nutter Center on ESPN+. Wright State won their 4th in a row in this series last year 88 to 80 in Oxford. We still lead this series 21 to17. Actually, this is the best non league game both teams have on their preseason schedule every year. I actually wish both schools would embrace it and make it a home and home every year ( we used to do this with Dayton every year and it was great ). Maybe get it televised.

Wright State is where we would like our program to be in another year. They are annually fighting for the Horizon championship ( league is not overall at the level of the MAC). They have an established program with a longtime coach. They know how they want to play and they know who their starters are and what roles everybody plays. They have lots of experience and their players have developed in the system. Exactly where Coach Steele is trying to take us.

Wright State is 4-6 ( 1-0) , but they have challenged themselves with a tough non league schedule. They are 2-2 at home, 0-3 on the road, and 2-1 on neutral courts. Here are their losses:

A. Colorado State. 105-77
H Toledo. 78-77
N. Hofstra. 85-76
A. Indiana. 89-80
A. Davidson. 82-73
H. Western Kentucky. 91-84

Their best win is over Illinois State by 25 on a neutral court.

They start the same 5 every game:

6-0 GS G Trey Calvin. 22.7 ppg ( killed us last year) 44%on threes, 93% on free throws
6-6 GS Tanner Holden. Averaged 20 ppg two years ago, last year transferred to Ohio State and hit a game winning shot in December but eventually played little down the stretch and transferred back to Wright State as a grad student. 14.8/5.3
6-8 RS Sophomore Brandon Noel 11.9/6.4
6-9 Jr AJ Braun 10.7/5.9. 68%fg
6-3 RS Jr Alex Huibregtse. 7.7/4.4

I haven’t heard anything lately, but I am certainly hoping for the return of Anderson Mirambeaux tomorrow.
If so, the look of our team could be changing. Reese Potter should have worked his way back into shape and we now should get be able to play 2 bigs at the same time for at least part of the game. Notice that the Raiders do start both a 6-8 and a 6-9 guy. Both Wright State and Miami prefer playing at a good pace and like high scoring games, so that is what I would anticipate. This game and Vermont should be great tests as these teams are comparable to the top programs in the MAC.

2 Likes

Another chance for this group to get a really nice win. I’d love to split Wright St and Vermont at a minimum, but it’ll be a very good challenge.

1 Like

Miami compliance officer:

“Hey, I got this file here to reinstate an Andrew Mirabelli. Says he plays basketball. They seem to be in a hurry. Has their season started already? I thought I read the football season just ended.”

1 Like

WSU is -12.5. I know they’re better then their record, but this seems a bit high to me.

1 Like

They beat Illinois State by 25. I was thinking 12.5 seemed low.

But I have no idea how to quantify Anderson returning, if he is tonight.

I’ve been out to see WSU twice this year. When the Raiders are clicking, they’re a tough stop. Especially on the offensive end. If Miami isn’t used to the ball moving around and player switching and cutting, get ready.

I saw the Raiders pull back and drop 103 on IUPUI but blow it against Western Kentucky. Just defensive lapses kill them. So it’s a hard call for tonight.

1 Like

Anderson is shown as being available in tonight’s Game Notes.

3 Likes

I was speaking to someone related to the athletic department and they mentioned WSU has really struggled against fast guards. Ipsaro and Cooper seem to fit that. We have a very solid defensive team, but the offense hasn’t clicked with so many new faces. I think having Mirambeaux back gives us additional size we haven’t had all season. Is he ready to hop in or is he going to look rusty? IUPUI is one of the worst teams in D1. I’ve said all along we’ll finish the season right around #200. WSU is currently #152 and winnable with a full roster. Their best win is against #157 Louisiana on a neutral court. Their worst loss is against #166 WKU at home.

4 Likes

Where is Norfolk St. ranked? Can’t imagine they’re very high.

Steele had a lot of good things to say about Anderson’s readiness, even his physical condition. Says he’s been showing a lot of leadership in practice, including taking jaquel under his wing.

5 Likes

Anderson is, obviously, a big addition (pun intended). IMO, the best thing he does is give this team a player that can consistently create their own shot. We can throw it to Mirambeaux somewhere on the high to low post and he can either get a good look 1v1, or pass out of a double team to an open shooter.

2 Likes

I think Anderson has been practicing regularly and should be “bursting at the seems” to get out there. He will be ready.

1 Like

Dick……now residing in Philly, I often wonder what it would take for the Cincy/Dayton schools to embrace their version of the Big 5 with UC, XU, UD, WSU and MU……maybe we had this in the past but not formal?

1 Like

Morris gets the start at center.

There was an informal Big 4 back in the day before Wright State became a legit mid-major. Could include NKU in that consortium now.

2 Likes

Can I assume this is a radio television simulcast? They keep telling us what we can already see. That seems to be a common problem.

1 Like

Well we were doing well until Anderson came in. I am just watching on tv but he looks way slower to me.

Thankfully, this analyst reminds us which Miami is playing in case we have forgotten.

1 Like

WSU at 70% from floor

Fond memories of The Palestra! (I grew up in Harrisburg).

We went to several games each year (Penn and Villanova mostly). So many great teams. Rollie’s Championship team and Penn’s team with Tony Price. Jellybean!

I could go on and on…

1 Like