Miami men at Toledo 7:00 Friday on CBSSN

Not dressed

1 Like

Says every fan of every team every year.

Probably not as common of a complaint at UConn, Kansas, Gonzaga, Kentucky, etcā€¦

1 Like

Here we go again.

This is where Hunter should take over.

We had a 14 point leadā€¦

1 Like

A chance to win it at the buzzer. Letā€™s go!

1 Like

Smart play by Toledo.

1 Like

Canā€™t close the dealā€¦

Ugh.

1 Like

Very tough loss. Potter and Darwishi were incredible in the 1st half. Toledoā€™s pressure in the second half caused us to turn it over a lot. We also took a lot of quick, ill-advised shots during a key run from Toledo.

Loved the mixture of lineups and the fact that we played bigger in the first half. Went back to a 1-big lineup more frequently in the 2nd and werenā€™t as good in the boards.

Tough not to see the good of building a 14-point lead in the road at Toledo. Tougher not to feel the sting of squandering a 14-point lead on the road at Toledo.

2 Likes

Yeah, I would emphasize the first 20 minutes and say, ā€œThis is how we have to play.ā€ The difference in defensive intensity from Tuesday night was night and day. We forced tough shots in the lane, we outrebounded them, and we didnā€™t foul as much. It was great to see Potter and Elmer start because they were 2 of the few guys who played hard at both ends the other night.

In the 2nd half, Toledo played harder defensively, but most of our turnovers were still unforced. Without Ipsaro, we donā€™t really have anyone who can counter pressure by driving to the basket and finishing. Ultimately, the game came down to finishing around the basket. If we made half of our shots around the basket in the 1st half, we wouldā€™ve been up 20 at halftime. I thought we played pretty well defensively in the 2nd half, but giving up easy baskets off of turnovers and Toledoā€™s ability to finish around the basket doomed us.

Mirambeaux canā€™t be the go-to down the stretch. At least not consistently IMO. Heā€™s played 4 games now against D-1 opponents and he doesnā€™t have the lift or ability to finish through contact at the rim so far as he did last year. His efficiency numbers bear that out. Also, he was a 77% FT shooter last year, but only 57% this year. Heā€™s clearly fading away at the foul line, which is why heā€™s leaving more shots short. Your go-to guy down the stretch canā€™t be a 57% FT shooter. Plus, everyone else stands and watches. Iā€™m also not a fan of the 1 pass, Mirambeaux 3 pointer offense.

The one guy that finished through traffic tonight was Potter, our skinny freshman center. He went to the rim with a purpose. No one else on our team really does when thereā€™s traffic around, maybe excluding Ipsaro as well. Bultmanā€™s inability to finish around the rim has been disappointing, especially when in the post against a smaller defender. Heā€™s great on reading backcuts, but he could be a weapon down low if he didnā€™t leave everything short. He goes back so far on that fadeaway in the post. I know he doesnā€™t have the lift, but I think if he went back half as far, he still wouldnā€™t get his shot blocked and heā€™d make a higher percentage.

Iā€™m happy that the intensity was better tonight. We have to figure out the end of games and more effective ways to close games out.

3 Likes

Youā€™ve never obviously sat in the upper decks of Rupp Arena.

1 Like

Need to be better at getting to the line. And making them when they get there.

I know this is a new team and a second year coach. Itā€™s not really their fault, but Iā€™m so sick of ā€œlooking for the positivesā€ after yet another loss. Yes, there are things to build on, and weā€™ve had some nice OOC wins. It just feels like weā€™re still so far away from being relevant in the MAC. Iā€™m so thankful for the success of football this season.

1 Like

And for Field Hockey, Softball and Swimming & Diving!

2 Likes

1st half was really fun. Potter is very skilled and could be a great player if he stays healthy and gets a little stronger. Mabry and Hunter caught fire at the same time.

2nd half not good. Toledo turned up the defensive pressure and took us out of our offense. Thought we couldā€™ve gone to Hunter more down the stretch.

Been a fan since 2000. Other than an improbable bank shot by Doug Penno, this program has barely registered a pulse.

1 Like

Especially in the first half, I thought our spacing was excellent, our passing was crisp and Hunter was a man possessed.

Not having Ipsaro did cost us in the second half though we managed the ball ā€œadequatelyā€ without him. Still, his unavailability was noticed.

Our young group will only get better as they continue to adjust to the rigors of college ball. I like Potterā€™s smoothness, especially for a freshman big.

2 Likes