Miami men at NIU Saturday at 4:30

One win closer to.500!

The veterans came through. With 9 seconds to go Grant drove and got fouled and hit both to give us a 1 point lead. NIU was without TO’s but ran a play for a 3 by Hankerson and airballed it and Ayah got the rebound with 2.3 to go and he hit both. NIU then missed a half court shot at the buzzer and we win 78-75.

1 Like

Grant 19, Brown 17, Ayah 12. 14 out of 16 from the line for the MAC’s best foul shooting team. NIU was 12 for 20. We won it at the line.

3 and a half point line, we win by 3.

2 Likes

If I ever meet any of the seniors, I will buy them all beers as without their help, we would likely have under 5 wins all year. And I count those 3 D3 as part of that number. Spaulding!

It ain’t over until we’re mediocre. :slight_smile:

1 Like

One win closer to Cleveland!

Pleasant surprise- I am out today in Florida

14/16 from line, they were 12/20

Another great example of when we attack the basket and don’t settle, moving the ball from side to side, we can be a good offensive team. 17 assists on 28 made field goals. Only 1/3 of our shots were 3s. And we got to the foul line a fair amount. Over the last 4 games, we’re trending in the right direction. Let’s see if we can somehow build on what we’ve done. Defensively, we are what we are, not good. We did a good job communicating on the last play on what NIU was going to do. But we still get picked off too easily by screens, leaving wide open shooters. And defensive transition remains a problem. We were good enough offensively today to get it done.

2 Likes

Missed the end…but nice win

PS. Thankfully NIU can not hit their FTs

You could have said something nice about our free throw shooting. 4 out of 4 in the last 9 seconds when we were down 1. We started the day 10th in the nation in FT%. You are very good at picking out things we do not do well, and I am glad you bring them up. This is something we do very well, so sometimes balance out the criticism ( usually justified) with complimenting what we do well. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Kind of implied Dick, right…glad to hear we continued to hit them…but the thanks goes to NIU for not being anywhere near as good as Miami at the line or in even the realm of a decent FT shooting club. It is great that we are 10th in FT%…but we are also 300+ in FTA.

60% is pretty poor from the stripe. As I said, missed the end of game, but NIUs work at the line stands out as well below average.…even worse then usually for them.

NIU probably might have 3 to 4 more wins if they were ~74% shooting FT club.