Miami MBB 2024-25 Roster

Flattering, but Adam and Daniel are both graduating so we’re bringing in some new student leaders this year as well! Looking forward to seeing them cultivate relationships with the coaches and help lead this thing as well

10 Likes

Jive - great report - I still think we need one more big/ rim protector

Thanks Jive!

Very interesting, very true.

1 Like

Can we use the interest money the unused scholarships are generating to pay for NIL?

A freshman big man is something I have been thinking about. It is a shame that Kotecki was not able to redshirt last year and save his year of eligibility. Mirambeaux’s grades and Potter’s injury left us with only two big men so Kotecki was badly needed early season. 12 or 13 is just too many guys to play and in this environment guys are just going to leave if they don’t get to play. I do think we need another big man for practice and in case some things happen again to take a couple of bigs off the court. So bringing in a big guy with potential would be an ideal move.

1 Like

I like all of your bullett points. I basically agree with everything Coach is saying and I can’t sat that about the last two seasons. It is nice to hear how impressed he is with some of our new players.

2 Likes

Travis Steele gives a great interview. One of the best. He said we entered the offseason needing a scorer (Craft), a Swiss Army knife (Suder) and an enforcer (Woolfolk). Based on his comments, I get the impression there may not be any more scholarship additions.

The new era of college basketball…recruit 11 scholarship players, 9 to play and 2 more for injury depth. The 12th/13th guys should be one-year insurance policies if utilized at all. I get the impression Steele has the 10 he’s going to battle with.

1 Like

How do you find a freshman big man with potential in middle of May? Not impossible, but unlikely.

1 Like

Vintage Steele: almost stream of consciousness delivery, high energy, infectious enthusiasm, without a trace of ego or pretense. He explains his goals, and how he plans to achieve them. It’s easy to imagine how he connects with our players, staff, and students. He always leaves me eager for the season to start. I continue to be impressed by him.

4 Likes

Perhaps, just perhaps, MAC hoops could get 2 into the NCAA’s one of these years…like the one upcoming.

2 Likes

The landscape of college hoops has changed and true freshman are not as highly valued, so I think there are more freshmen available late than there used to be.

2 Likes

The logic of more playing time to avoid attrition makes some sense, but the minute the injury bug comes to town, we go from really solid to potentially really beatable fast. Me? I’d go after those pieces that are projects in nature with big upside who are unlikely to split if they don’t play up much. I believe they are out there. Now that we know there are only two scholarships left, maybe I use one for this purpose.

1 Like

Just as an example of what’s out there, here are two it looks like we’ve at least contacted. Unsure if we’ve offered either though. I’ve also been seeing quite a few decommits following the coaching changes at Wyoming and Green Bay. I do expect the staff will use all 13 scholarships, I think there’s just some strategy around what do you use them on.

I think Loum is exactly the type of player @YellowNumber5 is referring to. Probably needs a bit of development to make an impact, but you can see the athleticism and raw tools are there. Already shoots pretty well, so I don’t think it would take long for him to start earning minutes.
https://twitter.com/moouss_/status/1735338739373650144

Just decommitted from Old Dominion:
https://twitter.com/simplyy_bball/status/1789026386017218970

1 Like

Coach Steele seems to have gotten his feet under him this past season. It’ll be interesting to see how he/the team does the next 2-3 years.

2 Likes

This would be glorious. Those two look like the right project material in spades! If they get a scholarship and are made no promises about playing time but really improve, they will play eventually. It seems the coach is loyal to those who work hard and think team first. Eli is proof of that.

2 Likes

I know I’m usually an optimist, but I’m beyond excited for Kam Craft. I think he could be the best Miami has had in a long time. Here’s a video from his AAU team. For context, that EYBL circuit is top notch. The meanstreets roster had players who committed to: coral gables, oral roberts, duquesne, northwestern (Nick Martinelli who was almost one of Steele’s first recruits), uni, north Carolina, loyola, Illinois, and Indiana state (Robbie Avila). That’s every player on the roster and they all ended up D1. And Craft led the team in minutes, scoring, 3rd in rebounding, 3rd in steals, and 4th in assists.

4 Likes

Big time. You can see why Steele thinks he’ll be a top scorer in the MAC.

2 Likes

That was more impressive than previous tapes I had seen. Turn him loose!

1 Like

The coming of Wally 2.0. Has a complete offensive game.

1 Like