Miami MBB 2023-24 Roster

Nice summary of each recruit by Steele.

Steele knows how to run a programā€¦from top to bottom. He is a gemā€¦enjoy him while heā€™s in Oxford.

1 Like
2 Likes

Could reshirt someone

We might need to find a scholly for Yofan if his first game is an indicator of future use/success.

6 Likes

ā€œElmer, who has a 3.7 grade-point averageā€

2 Likes
  • ā€œThe thing I like most about Miami is I love the coaching staff,ā€ Elmer said. ā€œThey made basketball seem really fun. The community there - they feel real welcome and real energetic.ā€*
1 Like

Redshirt guys are are still on scholarship.

When is Nick gonna give Tatum some respectā€¦his mid-range was more than solidā€¦ reported on schollie.

:wink:

3 Likes

I was talking to Anderson at Miami women basketball exhibition he said he was coming back next year

3 Likes

Wait, the big man is? Thatā€™s huge!

2 Likes

I had posted when he signed that I thought he would have another year of eligibility due to Covid year.

Great to hear if he keeps playing like he did vs. Evansville.

It will be interesting to see how the scholarship situation works out.

We have to make room for 5 and if Yofan plays likes he did in the first game it is a crowded locker room.

Perhaps the transfer portal takes care of such problems in the new world of college athletics.
Coaches have to assume they are going to have attrition after each year of those players who are dissatisfied with their playing time, etc.

4 Likes

So if Tatum is on scholarship and Mirambeaux is coming back, that means we have 16 scholarships assigned out for next season. And thatā€™s even with Yofan as a walk on. I realize things are different now with the transfer portal, but I donā€™t see how thatā€™s going to work unless Steele is planning on pulling scholarships from guys.

2 Likes

Never

2 Likes

I have no information, but I would guess Tatumā€™s scholarship is year-to-year only if one is available. Iā€™m also assuming Etzlerā€™s Miami career is over. This is his 4th season at Miami, a career filled with frustrating injuries. So if Anderson comes back, we would have 14 scholarships plus Yofan. One or two transfers and weā€™re under the limit and can possibly add Yofan to schollie. Itā€™ll be nice to have legitimate talent and depth.

Also, do we know Kamari Williamsā€™ long-term status?

1 Like

Over the offseason, I viewed our current roster as 7 veterans and 6 young guys (Tatum plus 5 true freshmen).

5 of the 7 veterans are out, and 2 of those are longer-term injuries. We donā€™t know the status of Kamari Williams. And we donā€™t know the timing of Lewis and Harrison returning. Tough way to start a season with a new coaching staff and so many new players.

1 Like

It will all be resolved.

1 Like

Etzler is coming back for conference play. His surgery was just cleaning everything up, not a new injury.

4 Likes

I think this is the situation with Kamari. Just putting different things I have heard together, so I would not bet my life that I have it all right. Educated guess.

Kamari was short on hours passed starting this semester. The staff filed a petition with the NCAA a month ago, which Coach Steele has mentioned ( without going into the particular issue). They are very disappointed that the NCAA has not issued a ruling yet.

If nothing happens with that, I think Kamari would become eligible when his grades are filed by the professors and he has earned enough hours to be eligible for second semester. Again (I think), in a situation like this, he would not have to wait until J-term was over, he would probably be eligible as soon as all the grades were filed and he passed everything, so maybe late December. Or, the NCAA could approve the petition and he might get immediate eligibilty

5 Likes

Brings back memories of Bernie Newman. Grades OK. Hours not OK.

3 Likes