Miami Hall of Fame adds teams

I think this is a great idea. We are now honoring the greatest teams in Miami History. When they read off their accomplishments, it will just be super impressive. The first team honored will be the 1973 football team. This team coached by Bill Mallory went 11-0, MAC champs, finished 15th in the nation. They had regular season wins over Purdue ( I was there), South Carolina, and a bowl game win over Florida.

There are also 6 individuals honored, the ones which I remember fondly are Ryan Jones from hockey and Rich Goins from basketball.

7 Likes

Pete Lindsay was the President of our TKE House when I was there. Congrats to all!

Some context:

2 Likes

Yet never anyone from men’s tennis. It’s kinda sad. The results are too good to ignore for so many former players. Sorry to interrupt or draw attention away from these worthy former athletes and coaches. Just stating the truth. Rant over!

Wittus

2 Likes

Right! Craig was a star. And how long ago was that. We had a bunch of great teams since then and players. Not one person was good enough to be in? Women’s tennis has had quite a few. Ps, I stopped nominating people as it was clear no one paid any attention to the entries. Or maybe they never went anywhere off the old MU site. Hard to know.

4 Likes

What year did we drop Men’s Tennis? We dropped wrestling and men’s soccer, too. I can’t remember when we gave them up. Had something to do with adding hockey and it’s impact on Title IX compliance, I think.

1 Like

It was in like ‘99 or 2000.

2 Likes

That is a great idea.

I can only speak to hockey, but I would say its best two teams weren’t its most successful: 2007-08, which won 33 games with Captain Jones, and 2014-15 when Miami won the NCHC at the expense of two of its studs.

Yep, just eight years ago the program was that good.

4 Likes

Ryan Jones’ Game Winning goals record at Miami is the best stat!

Opponents couldn’t run him out of the goal area.
Recruited by a fellow Canadian from Ontario…… Chris Bergeron!

2 Likes

Yep, 21 GWGs – 10 clear of anyone else – is a stat that will likely never be broken.

Jared Palmer’s 169 games played is another record I thought would be eternally safe because of the extra playoff round in the CCHA and Fairbanks exemption back then, but the five-year eligibility rule may kill that. Clement could break that next season.

2 Likes

I shared a mailbox with Craig Wittus freshman year.

2 Likes

Also a star. Hard to believe they are the last two inducted. And given the team was axed, it’s not like there’s a Congo line of others beyond the 1985-1999 window.

I guess we were all in Dennison in 75-76.

Craig and I often played ping pong in the basement. He was a beast.

We were indeed. “Tennis is just like ping pong, but you’re standing on the table.”

I’m gonna say that Craig is probably still great at ping pong today. And I don’t care how arthritic or blind he is. Gifts is gifts.

I wonder. I’m going to ask him!