Miami Football - 2022 Season Thread

I don’t believe that any coach worth their salt shows up on game day with the idea they are ready to throw in the towel. Pretty sure he’d be happy bringing the bell back to Oxford.

2 Likes

50/50 split. We’d probably get more playing a buy game at Michigan State

We have to pay (at least part) to rent Paul Brown Stadium too right?

Yeah, @Skins isn’t acknowledging the tiny fact those starters were injured. It’s not the 80’s and 90’s where we throw kids back in a play after getting concussed.

2 Likes

You obviously have not been watching that closely…CM in the past has all but said it in interviews.

It’s not like he’s telling the team to lay down, but has basically had a we never had a chance attitude.

Is what it is…there are coaches like CM, coaches like Hoeppner…and then the in-between.

2 Likes

You’re certainly entitled to your pov. I just don’t agree with it. But this in ‘Murica and we don’t all have to see things the same way.

No…I’d acknowledge that some players were dinged up (a couple years ago @ UC, without question) and it was just bad luck for Miami…but in the grand scheme of Miami’s play and approach to OOC under CM, you’d be completely ignorant if you did not acknowledge that under CM the approach was more about preservation than bringing home a win…

This should not be a lightning rod for discussion…that said I am interested to see the approach this year against UK, UC and NU…

PS I don’t really mind if Chuck stays another 5 plus years quite honestly as he has brought a sense of stability and competence…it’s not “Row Your Boat” excitement, LOL…but hey he seems to get it now, that he’s got a good thing.

Great facilities, Great Kids, Solid Program, Great School…decent $$$$$ (retire with millions at 59-60 years old…probably get a trophy, if not a statue).

4 Likes

We last played them in Oxford in 2017. The next time we play them in Oxford will be 2024. Obviously Covid took away what would have been a home game in 2020, but it’s hard to justify an every year series when you get so few true home games out of it. After the contract is up, I’d be good switching to something like a 5 year rotation where each team gets one home game, one away game, and one neutral site game at PBS with a 50/50 revenue split.

6 Likes

ok

so should we evaluate the UC game, historically, as a G5 opponent…or truly what they’ve become, a P5 opponent?

if we look through the lens of G5, then how much more does that 50/50 gate split net us vs having a JMU / WKU / et al in oxford?

if we look through the lens of P5, then we probably should assume we’ll win 1 out 10 games and taking on a huge opportunity cost, in forfeiting the revenue associated with a 3rd buy game

as a person who has played against UC, holding them in contempt only behind OU, i think the time for the rivalry has come and gone…we’re playing a P5 team on a P5 budget with P5 talent for next to nothing…if we’re (realistically) ready to accept a 1-9 record every decade, then at least get paid the ~$10M in revenue we’re forgoing

just my two cents…

8 Likes

Hawk, tell me you at least got a win against them once. If you are my vintage then likely. If not, then I know the answer.

i played the year after face masks were invented :smile:…so, i personally was 1-2 against them…left with a year of eligibility left, but the team did win the fourth year

3 Likes

Then you know the sweet feeling that comes from skinning the cat.

1 Like

Agree. The rivalry was at its best when both programs were G5 programs. As soon as Cincy became an AQ Big East team in the late 90s the imbalance in money, recruiting and prestige began to set in. They planted their flag in P5 by going to the Orange Bowl in ‘09 and to the Sugar Bowl the following year. They took it to an entirely different level with their close Peach Bowl loss to Georgia, their trip to the CFB Playoffs last season and their invitation to the Big 12.

Miami’s trajectory during that period has seen a complete implosion followed by a painfully slow climb back to G5 respectability.

Continuing to play UC under the current contract and under the pretense of parity as a rival no longer makes competitive of financial sense. Playing them as an occasional P5 buy game probably does.

3 Likes

If I had to speculate, I would think UC rips up the contract (and pays whatever the fee is) once the B12 schedule is made up next year.

Personally I would like to see the game/rivalry continue in some way, although not every year to give both schools flexibility with scheduling. Playing once every few years makes sense IMO whether it be at UC or downtown @ PBS as it’s a great day for the Miami community in greater Cincinnati

4 Likes

I have no ties to Cincinnati and the rivalry doesn’t mean much to me outside of whatever value Miami places on it (for ex, I don’t work with UC grads or anything) but my opinion is to keep the rivalry. Michigan went just as long without beating Ohio State and nobody said that game should stop. College football ebbs and flows, right now Cincy is riding a high. I think they’re on the downside of their success, maybe not this year, maybe not the next, but definitely soon. And when that happens, I’d like a B12 win on the ledger each year.

Also, what are you going to replace them with? A road game to Pitt? Travel to Boise State again? A one and done with Boston College? For the people that want to cancel, what’s your replacement?

1 Like

I asked the same. I assume guaranteed wins is the goal. Maybe an LIU “Jump the Shark” rivalry

A payday at Michigan or Michigan State, or Indiana or Louisville or Tennessee or Penn State or UCLA or North Carolina…etc.

if both teams - UC and Miami - were still G5 programs, I could accept your argument about the cyclical nature of the game. But we’re not anymore. And expecting us - as a P5 team in perhaps the next to weakest conference - to compete with today’s version of Cincinnati year in year out is insanity: doing the same thing every year and expecting different results.

The OSU - Michigan comparison is a false analogy. They are both on precisely the same level. That string of losses is - as the state says in its ads - Pure Michigan.

2 Likes

You are comparing the Ohio State-Michigan rivalry with the Miami-UC rivalry? Do you not see the dissimilarity between Miami and UC at this point?

Our schedule should look like this:
-Two buy games (this year it’s NW and UK)
-One FCS
-One G5 program, or lower level P5 that we set up a home and home with (WKU, Army, Cuse, Vandy, etc)

3 Likes

It’s 500k for each game cancelled with less than 5 year notice, 100k otherwise.

Personally, I also don’t have a particular connection to Cincinnati or UC. It would be unfortunate to see the series go away forever, but I don’t have an issue with decreasing the frequency.

In terms of who I’d rather see, I think it’s financially required to play 2 P5 a lot of the time moving forward. Losing the UC game would open a slot for a G5 game while letting us keep a FCS game for bowl eligibility.

2 Likes

Who were our transfers this season. a WR, DE, LB, & DB?

1 Like