Miami Basketball 22-23 Discussion

5 Likes

Mentioned earlier in preseason…but feel like this kid is a bit of a “sleeper” or steal and is going to do great stuff…maybe even some this year.

4 Likes

So fundamentally sound.

1 Like

Yeah…and maybe better shooter than advertised.

Sounds like we got housed by Robert Morris, but have settled in a bit. RMU picked like #8 in Horizon conference.

1 Like

That’d be pretty hard. He was known as one of the best pure shooters on LaLu, which is saying something. And almost every article on him tried to not just talk about his shooting ability. I’d love if it was still better than advertised though.

1 Like

Think you’re reading the wrong advertisement…

Talking about Billy Smith…not Ryan (which is actually why I mention, as Billy seemed on Ryan’s level, equal or better stroke in scrimmage).

Sounds like Coach agrees on Smith, added in Morris/Ryan and even Eli may contribute.

There’s some good stuff above from Steele and Mo.

2 Likes

Smith appears to be a more than solid addition. But Mabrey is one of the best shooting prospects I have seen in a long time. When I first watched his videos, the name that popped into my head was Steve Alford. He was clearly one of the best shooters in college ball in the last few decades. For Mabrey to be thought of in the same way is very exciting. I think he will be one of our best shooters in the last 25+ years. And yes, I remember Larry Garloch, Craig Michaels (perfect from the floor and FT in his first game for MU), Mike Bramos, Damon, Wally, Jason Stewart, Mike Williams, Landon Hackim, and Mekhi Lairy at the FT line late–they are among the best Miami shooters I have seen. I believe that Mabrey will be right there in the next couple seasons. PLUS, he can do more than shoot, like run the floor, pass, etc.
Yea, I like him alot.

1 Like

Yes on that Ryan will be a very good all-around guard, not just shooter. I was somewhat aware of his resume, but at this point (and applies to both)…Billy looked just as good off the curl. Neither will be great shooting off the bounce at this level this year…Ryan likely better than Billy as things progress in that aspect, but Billy’s length was allowing him to get a nice looking shot off (was thinking his HS resume in this regard was just okay).

We’ll see but I think for the first class, it’s pretty solid what Steele has brought in, and he already has a great class next year.

3 Likes

I’ve already forgotten the names of Miami’s last 2-3 coaches.

2 Likes

Depending on how many minutes he gets, I see Mabrey being one those guys the opponents’ fans hate. He’s seen a lot of very good players the last few years, and has a sister in the WNBA. I don’t expect him to back down from anyone.

2 Likes

You are correct. Billy played Indiana High School and Ryan was prep school. Both have potential to hit shots.

1 Like

Smith was recruited by Jack Owens. Really, Kenneth Lowe. Same high school as Myja White. Smith immediately fell in love with the school and never looked back.

2 Likes

The disrespect to Will Sullivan. Dude shot 45% from 3 in a John Cooper offense.

1 Like

Oops. Missed him. He was a terrific shooter. Thx for remembering. And no disrespect to Will.

1 Like

Thats right…he stayed committed to Steele…Rylee too right?

Yes. Also, Athletic Director called them and said good things were coming and Miami will be at top of MAC.

Wait, you forgot Charlie Coles? lol

2 Likes

Charlie Coles Court @ the new Millett Hall!

2 Likes