MIAMI AT UMASS-GAME THREAD

Excuse me, that’s “undefeated and clear favorite for the national title” Pittsburgh

Chuck has favoritism of guys he recruited vs transfers. He even mentioned it in one of his press conferences after the UConn game. If we are spending this much on the portal I don’t want to see them behind guys they are better than in the depth chart

1 Like

I agree with this analysis on McClain vs Myrick

I think at this point, looking at the whole coaching staff is warranted.

4 Likes

Text from a fan in eastern Ohio. “Right now the whole program sucks and Miami is the laughingstock of football that after spending all that $, blowing the UC game and losing to a terrible BG team.”

@danielren123 I don’t think we have any right to call someone else bad.

I agree but if we want to get anything from this season (remaining Detroit hopes, bowl eligibility) we have to beat the bad teams

I would be shocked to learn we get enough thought from people to be a laughingstock

6 Likes

A few more losses and we can gain more dubious notoriety by getting into ESPN’s Bottom 10! We got off to a quick start losing to one the worst statistical teams in FBS football.

I can’t defend the UC game or BG. They were both obviously games we need to win.

But I’ll make the optimist’s argument for the season remaining:

The MAC appears to suck, maybe even more than usual. There’s no dominant team. WMU and Toledo both look down from their peaks in the last couple years. WMU doesn’t appear to be a world beater I feared they may be after the showing at the Big House. If Buffalo can play with them, we can. Ohio is definitely down from last year. These teams may be better than us on paper now without Mccomb, but I don’t think they are so much better we can’t beat any of them.

If we start winning, we’ll be favored or within a couple points in 5 of our remaining games. WMU and Ohio probably not, but if we start to figure things out, every other game we likely can be favored.

Heavner wasn’t a disaster. We need more from him, but most of his problems are things that should improve as coaches can go over tape and he gets more experience. I’m not saying he’ll be a top MAC QB, but I also didn’t necessarily see anything that says he can’t be middle of the road. He’s not yet, but again, I didn’t see it outside his skillset.

The defense…well…might be fixable? We didn’t tackle. We didn’t run correct coverages. The defensive scheme seemed bad. I don’t know, there’s not much glass half full here but it can’t get worse. I think there are things that can be fixed.

If we beat UMass, there’s a path here still. If we lose, at least we found out early that its not our year. Rather find that out on October 10th than December. It’ll save me some weekends (and weeknights).

In some ways I almost wish the wheels would just come off and we can start a new era, but until I see another loss, I’m going to argue myself into a road to Detroit.

4 Likes

You are indeed an optimist. Always a good attribute but I can’t go there w ya after seeing the debacle of the 4th qtr of the UC game and losing to an incredibly horrendous BG team.

Be nice to be proven wrong, but the loss to UC in a game we should have won will forever stain this season for me, no matter how we do against crap MAC competition.

5 Likes

There’s no defending UC or BG. Honestly, this could have been a real special season and instead I’m trying to convince myself its not over on October 5th. Its a unbelievable disappointment.

2 Likes

Yes it is. :pensive_face:

My step twins go to UMass and the wife and I went to parents weekend last weekend. Eastern moved the ball at will against UMass, and UMass mostly self destructed on offense. We do NOT match up well against Pop Watson with our shitty soft zone as he is extremely mobile and they will pick us apart underneath and they can run the ball too. If we cant run the ball, which so far we have shown we cant then it will be a dog fight.

We lost to 0-4 BG at home. There isnt a game left on our schedule that we “should” win. We just proved that. That being said, my other son and I will be in Amherst for the weekend for the game. Also as an aside UMass might have the crappiest stadium in D1 football.

You’re a young alum, and I you love Miami sports. And I appreciate that you post here; its nice to keep it young with me and all these old heads. I’m not trying to snuff out your enthusiasm. But you post like Miami football is [pinches thumb and finger] away from the CFP. A road win at UMass is not a “we should beat them” deal; at this point no team on the schedule should be considered a “get-right” game, or an easy win, or even a win. I get heat here for trying to turn the volume down a bit on expectations; let’s meet somewhere in the middle.

2 Likes

I don’t think it’s an easy game. Nothing will be with our QB situation. But there’s a reason we are still road favorites according to the books. UMass is not very good, I don’t care they were 4-0 not all wins are created evenly. Our UConn win is better than all 4 of UMass wins combined. They beat 2 FCS teams, Sac state who practically still is one, and Rutgers who will finish 1-11. We simply have to win if we want anything out of this season

The QB isnt the issue, the lack of a run game, suspect kicking, and shitty defense is. The UConn win as a reference is meaningless without McComb playing.

2 Likes

The defense still held UConn to 21 points, 7 after Q1

Well CBS sports I guess is not totally enamored with our mediocrity and we’re still in their bowl projections. They have us in the 68 ventures bowl against Appalachian state.

Or maybe it’s because of the mediocrity.

We better scheme better or we are gonna get hit by a bus